PDA

View Full Version : Yammaha OPL3-SA3 Sound Card Not Working

n00b
02-23-2003, 10:43 PM
I've tried a few different Linux distros and could never get this sound card working. I'm a total newbie when it comes to Linux. Can anyone tell me how to get this card working with the run from CD version of Knoppix? How do I find the I/O, DMA and all that stuff to manualy config it?

thanks

roberto
02-25-2003, 08:22 AM
first off... i do not know if your card WILL work or not... just a few observations

hate to be the bearer of bad news... this sound card barely seems to work without lots of software fixes under windows either

Sony and Toshiba computers would suddenly lose sound after installing Windows XP Sp1 fixed if you can find the damned driver from some back alley sites... I would reccommend getting yourself a sound blaster live / audigy card as these are much more compatible with most every OS.

if you want to try something.. check to make sure that your Bios option: Plug n' Play OS, is set to NO. having it set to yes causes many problems especially with *nix based systems.

cker
03-10-2003, 04:34 PM
I have been working with an old toshiba 780cdm for some time. Then only sound driver that I have found that actually works is the paid OSS driver. They get the irq settings wrong, but toshiba usually has those listed in the bios. So after a little munging of their config it now works fine. But it is NON-FREE!

CK

bassbrnr
03-10-2003, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I have the OPL3-SA2 on my laptop. Knoppix didn't install the drivers automatically, but all I had to do to get it to work was type
modprobe opl3sa2. This driver is also supposed to support the OPL3-SA3.

DssEnigma
09-01-2003, 05:46 AM
i never did get my opl3sa2 running on a toshiba tecra 8000 laptop. If anyone knows how to help me, that would make knoppix install complete.

Pierre_Gronau
02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Simply entering 'yamaha opl3' into the search field yielded these results:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3289&view=next

stedy
05-06-2004, 09:56 AM
hi bassbrnr,

your method worked for me...but everytime i restart my pc...i have to type in modprobe opl3sa2 again..by the way i install in my hardisk...anything that i miss out...pls teach me...thanks

Stephen
05-06-2004, 06:47 PM
hi bassbrnr,

your method worked for me...but everytime i restart my pc...i have to type in modprobe opl3sa2 again..by the way i install in my hardisk...anything that i miss out...pls teach me...thanks

Put the opl3sa2 on a line by itself in the /etc/modules file and it will be loaded every time on boot.

Durand Hicks
05-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Don't forget to run update-modules from root when done editing /etc/modules.