PDA

View Full Version : Help with floppy

bob58
03-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Hello....I am really having a heck of a time accessing my floppy drive. The LCD screen on my laptop needs a dark background for better contrast so i downloaded a few backgrounds from internet on a KDE site. My laptop was detecting it on and off for a while....when i try to acess it i get the following:"could not mount device. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/fd0...or too many mounted file systems" And also even though there is a file on a floppy disk, if I am able to get the fd to work, it shows the disk as having nothing on it!!!! I know there is something on it cause i carry it across room to desktop computer and it shows there is files on it! I have knoppix installed on my desktop and have no trouble mounting floppy drive. is there a way to trouble shoot this? :(

Stephen
03-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Hello....I am really having a heck of a time accessing my floppy drive. The LCD screen on my laptop needs a dark background for better contrast so i downloaded a few backgrounds from internet on a KDE site. My laptop was detecting it on and off for a while....when i try to acess it i get the following:"could not mount device. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on /dev/fd0...or too many mounted file systems" And also even though there is a file on a floppy disk, if I am able to get the fd to work, it shows the disk as having nothing on it!!!! I know there is something on it cause i carry it across room to desktop computer and it shows there is files on it! I have knoppix installed on my desktop and have no trouble mounting floppy drive. is there a way to trouble shoot this? :(

If this is through the icon on the desktop the delete it and right click on the desktop and create a new one. If that does not work then look at the /etc/fstab and see what the line you are using for the floppy has in it here is what I use it works fine.

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto,rw 0 0

bob58
03-30-2004, 12:24 AM
here is the floppy line from my /etc/fstab:

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

I have tried the suggestions of others and what you said and it doesnt help! I dont understand why the floppy is not accesible. It used to work before under knoppix. I have re installed a few times so i wonder if that may have something to do with it but i doubt it. Can anyone suggest something else? bob

bob58
04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Here is the error i get when i try to format a floppy:

Cannot format: /dev/fd0u1440

ioctl(FDFMTTRK): Input/Output error

OErjan
04-01-2004, 06:37 PM
as far as i understand it seems something is not conected right, atleast that is the first impression (im my other posting i mentioned conectors).
feels odd if the laptop has a boultin floppydrive though. it MIGHT be thast the ribboncable has slipped/broken...
ifthis is the case it is not something you can repair easily yorself in a laptop (if you are not verry good with tweesers, soldering small parts...).

hmmm just thought of somethng. have you rebooted? and do you always UMOUNT the floppy before you remove it, if not that might be the problem, if you eject a mounted floppy it will mess things up some,even a reboot might not fix it 100%.

bob58
04-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I did replace the line in my /etc/fstab with:

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto,rw 0 0

and the error i get is "input/output error....mount:you must specify the filesystem type....

not sure of what to do now!

OErjan
04-01-2004, 08:33 PM
try replacing auto with vfat in the line you gave above. it might work
that is, it should look like this

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat user,noauto,rw 0 0

bob58
04-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks OErjan, I have tried everything an its no use....I will probably re install the system tonite if I get bored....I did have that floppy working fine before i did the last installation. So i have installed and reinstalled quite a few times now so maybe this will cure the problem! Thanks for the advice and help.....bob

finder
11-15-2004, 04:42 PM
To the list;
See posts for the mnt/floppy does not exist

thanks again

finder

bob58
11-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi....The problem was a bad floppy drive and a crappy laptop!!!!!!

Problem solved!

CrashedAgain
11-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Hi....The problem was a bad floppy drive and a crappy laptop!!!!!!

Problem solved!
And the solution was....? This sounds like a case of violence against machines.
As an aside, I had (have) visibility problems on my laptop also, solved by d/l & install a flatblack cursor theme.