PDA

View Full Version : a new use for knx-hdinstall

jmassengill
12-11-2002, 08:24 PM
I used the knx-install program to fdisk a hard drive that I was putting Win98 on for a customer. The hard drive used to have linux on it and as most of us know, fdisk for dos won't remove a linux partition. I booted with a knoppix floppy and the knoppix CD. I booted using the knoppix 2 mode and went to "cd /usr/local/bin" loaded "knx-hdinstall"and used cfdisk to delete the partitions from the drive.

zakdr
12-21-2002, 04:15 PM
Next time you can skip the knx-hdinstall.

try this.
kde3
menu
knoppix
root shell
type in cfdisk
do your paritioning.

Zak

12-31-2002, 08:00 AM
Actually, just about any of the single floppy linux distros can do this, using fdisk. I reccomend HAL 91, partly because it's generally cool, but also because one of the maintainers is Christian Pearl, who wrote the knx-hdinstall script.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-31-2002, 03:43 PM
I've used cfdisk just for this purpose on linux and fdisk in windows. You guys mention fdisk like its in linux. Is there a linux fdisk? If so, what's the difference between fdisk and cfdisk?

mag
12-31-2002, 07:19 PM
Yes. There is fdisk for linux also. The differences between cfdisk and fdisk are some extra switches and different use of the same switch. Do man cfdisk and fdisk then you'll see what I mean.

mag

Quan
01-02-2003, 04:11 AM
another difference is that fdisk is similar to fdisk for windows/dos where as cfdisk gives user a graphical interface

Tigren
01-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Ya, the GUI would be the main difference, making it much more easy to do stuff and not have to consult a document or the help for the flags and what not. Much easier to use.

tuxtom
01-22-2003, 11:55 AM
If so, what's the difference between fdisk and cfdisk?
A main difference between fdisk and cfdisk:

If you, with fdisk, delete a logical partition within a set of logical partitions, the next partitions will change their numbers to n-1. If you create a new one in the place of the deleted it will get the number of the highest number+1.

cfdisk doesn't change the numbers of logical partitions.

tom