PDA

View Full Version : Program info needed.

firebyrd10
03-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Is there a linux equiv. of windows task manager in knoppix? I'm not to good with the kill command and I'm hoping for a GUI program.

Also is there a free linux client for the Gnutella file sharing network? Perferably one that doesn't have to be installed and can just run from a directory. I've tried running Bearshare over wine but that didn't work only the uninstall worked (alot of good it does me). Any suggestions? Oh and a windows program for the network that works with 3.3's wine is fine to as long as it is only a few megs big (bearshare is only about 2)

fingers99
03-28-2004, 09:32 AM
There is a Kde equivalent of Task Manager (but I've forgotten the name and, for technical reasons it was excluded from 3.3).

As for p2p, the most popular ones are gtk-gnutella (which you can apt-get install) and limewire (which is a Java application which most people run from their home directory). You'll find advocates of both here.

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 12:25 AM
One suggestion I've seen that I decided to go with, is to create a shortcut in KDE for xkill. If you go into the control center and the regional and accessibility section, you'll find the place to set up keyboard shortcuts. Then just click the command shortcuts tab and find xkill in the menu. Then choose a shortcut, such as Ctrl+Alt+K and you're set. The next time a program freezes you just press those keys and then click on the window. It's actually even more convenient than windows' task manager.

Stephen
03-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Then choose a shortcut, such as Ctrl+Alt+K and you're set.

CTRL + ALT + ESC already does that and for the OP in the System menu you can find KDE System Guard if it is installed if not the apt-get install ksysguard ksysguardd. Also nicotine is a fairly nice p2p program you may want to check it out.

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 12:50 AM
I read that Ctrl+Alt+Escape is supposed to do that Stephen, but it doesn't do anything for me. Don't ask me why, but it does nothing. :?:

Stephen
03-29-2004, 12:56 AM
I read that Ctrl+Alt+Escape is supposed to do that Stephen, but it doesn't do anything for me. Don't ask me why, but it does nothing. :?:

That's a weird one what version of KDE are you running.

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 01:24 AM
That's a weird one what version of KDE are you running.

I'm running KDE 3.2.1. I don't suppose they did away with that function in 3.2? I guess not if it still works for you.

Stephen
03-29-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm running KDE 3.2.1. I don't suppose they did away with that function in 3.2? I guess not if it still works for you.

Same as I run and it works fine, you have obviously checked the shortcut to make sure? Maybe even change it and go back to the default.

firebyrd10
03-29-2004, 03:01 AM
well I have been useing xkill but sometimes I don't have a window to kill, the program runs in the backround like Wineserver. Thats why I'm asking.

Stephen
03-29-2004, 03:19 AM
well I have been useing xkill but sometimes I don't have a window to kill, the program runs in the backround like Wineserver. Thats why I'm asking.

Have you checked the system guard it will show all processes? From a console ps xa | grep wine in this instance should get the process to kill or kill -9 if it is really stuborn.

firebyrd10
03-29-2004, 04:10 AM
OK thanks. Now I need a media player that can play wmv files. Is there one thats small and can be run write from the home directory. Or even better one that is already installed?

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Same as I run and it works fine, you have obviously checked the shortcut to make sure? Maybe even change it and go back to the default.

It was there. I was just in the wrong tab. I'm not sure why Kill Window was set to None rather than Default though..that's why it wasn't working.

Anyways, I noticed the combo I was using is also registered to switch keyboard layouts in the default KDE scheme...so I'm definitely undoing that. Thanks Stephen.

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 05:20 AM
Hey firebyrd, as I was looking through all the stuff in the KDE Shortcuts, I noticed that 3.2 has one shortcut called "Show Taskmanager", which brings up the system guard if you hit "Ctrl+Alt+Del" just like in Windows. I assume 3.1 has the same thing.