PDA

View Full Version : failing boot floppy creation

nishtya
03-29-2004, 03:03 AM
The windows hard disk where my boot loader resides is starting to make noise and I am trying to make a boot floppy so that my linux (on second disk) is still reachable if windows drive fails. The boot floppy created during hd install with knoppix-installer is unreadable, msdos says i/o failure and linux locks up trying to read it or format. Was an old floppy :wink: I have been unable to find instructions for creating a boot disk for a hd install of knoppix, what I have found is for floppy booting to live CD. Instructions from a debian forum fail trying to copy a chain loader which apparently doesn't exist. Could someone offer directions or a link? This is a hd install of 3.3 debian-style. Thank you.

nishtya
03-29-2004, 03:45 AM
found one that worked: mkboot. It offered me two options, I went with the one it called "best guess" which was my kernel 2.4.24-xfs and it also offered a vanilla.conf. The floppy does boot and I get in fine, but it brings me to another question. Had this been an actual emergency and first drive was poof, would Lilo had been able to bring up root home since it is currently pointing to hdb5? I guess one way to find out would be to pull the cable on the windows drive and see?