PDA

View Full Version : kpackage password problem

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 07:26 AM
I am trying to get my kpackage program to accept my password.

I am running 3.3 installed on my hard drive. During installation, I was asked to give it a password which I did for both root and user. Now my "user" is Knoppix which is wrong, but whatever. I have tried everything to get root to work for kpackage.

Also I am not able to type my password in the password prompt in kpackage as it will not let me type, litterally.

I am brand new to Linux and need a hand.

Thanks

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Ok, first of all knoppix is the default name for user in knoppix, make sure that the little flag by your clock is US (I am assuming you are American or using an english keyboard), language settings effect the keyboard layout. If the fag says de then your typing in German, which is default. You need to click the flag to change it to english or better yet r click go to configure language, select english then disable keyboard layouts, this will fix it for good. The text you type in the box is always invisible so even though you don't see it, you are still typing.

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Actually that is all set and I am set up for a qwerty KB.

It is the password prompt in kpackage that is really giving me a head ache. It wants the "root password". Ok, so I go to type what "should" be the root password and it will not display any letters.

Any thoughts? :)

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Oh wait, I see....so even when nothing is being displayed and the cursor is not moving it is still typing correctly?

Then by all rights my password "should" have been working then in the prompt box. Wonder why it is not then...any thoughts?

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 07:55 AM
I had mine set up for querty as well but for some reason it kept wanting to load with German default but if you are sure about the lang. then bring up a shell and see if you can log in as root. At prompt type su and it should ask you for password type in your root password and see if you can get in. If not I saw a post about how to change your root password but I can't remember how, type change root password in the search field at top of page and you should find it. If worse comes to worse, you can always reinstall, hehe I have had to about 6 times cause I messed something up playing around. Last time I uninstalled my whole kde desktop playing with apt-get apt-remove LOL. Thats the beauty of this OS, it is so easy to install, no biggy if you screw something up.

Lots of luck

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 08:02 AM
correct on the typing, it wont show typed passwords, a security feature I imagine.

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Hmmm, this is the weird thing. During install it asked me to create a user & password (which never took I guess) and a password for root as well.

Now here is the kicker, I can SU to root without any password from a shell. What the heck is going on?? It has been this way on two different installs too.

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 08:25 AM
try this...su to root, 1nc in root type password, it should prompt you for a password, then type the password you want to use hit enter, it should ask you for a confirmation then retype and that should reset your password.

just curious, how did you do the hd install? it sounds like you are still booting from cd which would implicate that you just copied the boot iso to hard drive rather than a full hd install. If that is the case look this over:

http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-knoppix

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 08:32 AM
I used this as a guide,

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

I will try that advice and post back here later.

Thanks

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Ok that explains it. I have seen numerous posts of problems with that install, especially with it making German the default language. Everyone I know here in the states uses the knx-hd install. Thats the one I used and have no problems with whatsoever. Look at the link I provided you and skip down to the hd intall part, follow it step by step and I bet that solves all you problems.

extradudeguy
03-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Ok, cool. Will try that then.

Thanks

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 08:47 AM
oh yeah, and if you have a windows partition try partitioning with partition magic in windows. do a ext.2 partition for linux plus a swap file with ext.3 partition magic does it automatically for you, really easy. If you don't know what partition magic is private mssg me.

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 08:49 AM
oops... meant to say ext.2 for both... really don't matter if you use ext.2 or ext.3 but make them both the same.

champagnemojo
03-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I've never had any issues with knoppix-installer. I hesitated on it too at first, but it really is better if you give it a chance. Just remember to do the Debian-style install...it sounds like you may have chosen the Knoppix-style install. And don't use ext2, use ext3 or reiserfs (ext3 is the default).

Valhalla
03-29-2004, 09:54 AM
I am no expert but I have seen where people have had problems with ext.3. I Myself have been able to make both work (although I did have problems on one install using ext.3) I use ext.2 because I seem to get a cleaner, more stable build. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I have read that it's better to have ext.3 in case of an irregular shutdown (hardboot, power surge/failure) but my setup seemed to like ext.2 better. I will probably try ext.3 again when I get knoppix 3.4 and I am hoping it will resolve the issiue of my SATA raid 0 hdds not being able to be mounted with the new 2.6 kernel. I run knoppix off my other IDE hard drive.