PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and Broadcom - no network after hdinstall

idris1388
03-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I have just installed Knoppix using the hdinstall option on my machine at home. Everything went very well, except that I can't get the networking to work at all.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Broadcom 4400 ethernet card.

Knoppix detects the card and if I do an ifconfig I can see the card with all the correct settings:

IP Address - 192.168.1.16
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Broadcast - 192.168.1.255
Network - 192.168.1.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1
Nameserver - 192.168.1.1

If I look in dsmesg it seems to find the card OK, eth0, IRQ3. It shows up in lspci OK. Infact the only error I see is from NETDEV which is a transit timeout if I remember correctly, which seems to fit in with the fact that it can't ping anything except itself, (TCP/IP is therefore working OK) I've tried different ip addresses, etc. I've downloaded the latest Linux drivers from Broadcom and installed them as per their instructions and it all went fine, except there is still no network.

I know that the card works and the cable is OK, as this is a multi-boot machine running Slackware, SuSE and XP (and hopefully Knoppix) and the network is working fine under all the other systems..

I've done a search for Knoppix and Broadcom and there appears to be a few issues but none of them match my problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.