PDA

View Full Version : WINE problems/usage/issues - revisited

Cuddles
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I scanned back a few pages, and I know someone had a "WINE" poll thread, but, decided to start a new one...

Having not used Wine very much, until recently, I have found one thing that "appears" to be an issue, and I can repeat it...

I have a Win98 install on device hdc1 - a partition of 2.0gig on a 80gig h/d (the other 78gig has been ear-marked for Linux Ext3 FS)

I have Wine pointing its files to this device, and the only reason I am recently using Wine, whereas before, I would have "never" thought to "commit" even 2gig to Windows, or a need to "ever" use Wine, but, Linux, as far as my apt-cache search has found nothing that works like this one program...

Having a business that digitizes analog sources into digital cd audio discs - I need to use some kind of "CD Label" program. What came with the labels was an Avery label program, and these labels have such a strange format on the sheet, I have found this program to be the "only" program that doesn't print every place other than on the label area...

I can start the Avery Label program from a click on the exe file, and Wine will get it started. The problem I have found is that if I change the label, and save it out. If I "close" the label, and try to reload it, Avery will crash stating the "label file" is corrupt and unreadable.

Here is the kicker, if I close down the Avery program, thereby, causing Wine to release control, and then re-open the Avery program, again, starting up Wine - I can then load the same "label file" fine.

From what I can tell is - Wine, or Avery, is unable to put out the label file to the disk, and that it is in memory - but Wine is not letting the Avery program access to this "memory" resident file. When you exit out of the program, and Wine - at that point - the memory resident "file" is flushed to the disk, and thereby, can be loaded fine [just my guess]

Has anyone had this same issue? (is it a common one?)

Thanks for any information,
Cuddles

mightydavefish
04-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi,
1. You know, the glabels program does great work with the Avery CD labels. That would probably be worth checking out for you. Just apt-get it.
2. Have you tried running the program as root? Sometimes that has gotten me over problems with wine.
3. If it's for business then crossover office might be worth picking up for you. It runs a ton of windows apps darn near perfectly and you could write it off as a business expense.

Of the 3, I would recommend glabels.