PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Pointers

colin stewart
03-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi All,

While playing about with all sorts of settings and learning what this linux thing can do, I noted that sometimes the choice of colour scheme and the pointers for the mouse can prove to be an unfortunate mix, which could often use a little tweaking at least to make it all work nicely together. How can you tweak/select the pointer graphics used for the mouse? I'd like the "I Beam" not to have a drop shadow as it's silly really, since you are never quite sure which one it's using for placement in some colour schemes.

I like CDS as a colour set, but the cursor (while typing here on the forum) is almost invisible due to this colour mix thing as well, can I change that to a flashing block of any colour as I'd like? (I'd pick one which can be seen, whether it's deemed "cool" or not! ) :lol: :wink:

Durand Hicks
03-29-2004, 09:43 PM
AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.

Markus
03-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
http://www.kde-look.org/

bob58
03-30-2004, 12:18 AM
One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob

colin stewart
03-30-2004, 02:44 AM
AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.

Hmm.. can't find those four you mention, how are you seeing them? - I looked under themes based on what you said, but no luck :(

Still no idea about the typing/insert cursor either - a block would likely be more visible that a line I am hoping! oh well, back to the draining board! :wink:

colin stewart
03-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
http://www.kde-look.org/

That's a neat site for later, thanks! :lol:

colin stewart
03-30-2004, 02:50 AM
One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob

Changes being asked for, and then getting ignored seems to be a rather regular feature of life in X, beyond that, not a clue sadly. :roll:

Is there an XPay86 etc. counterpart that maybe works reliably? That seems to be where most trouble stems from if you want a desktop, and some of this century's niceties on your box. :?

Markus
03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
You can change the mouse theme and install new themes in:
K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme

As for a larger cursor try changing in /home/login_name/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals a line under [KDE] to LargeCursor=true

bob58
03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi...I checked that file [KDEGLOBALS] and there are already 2 lines, one for LargeCursor=True and another for a white cursor.....I wonder why I cant make my cursor arrow BIGGER? Very strange if it is correct in the configuration.......any more ideas??? Also : I dont have an option for CURSOR THEME for some reason. I guess someone up there doesnt want me to have a cursor I can see!

K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme

Any other suggestions////thanks

Markus
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Just another idea :D
The kdeglobals file is also in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

bob58
03-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi Marcus.....I did edit the file in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

and restarted computer and cursor is STILL SMALL!!! HAHAHAHA!! I wonder why? Maybe I can download another cursor?

bob58
03-30-2004, 05:42 PM
I am thinking is it possible to just remove the current arrow cursor and download a BIG one and put it in place of small one? I dont think I really need a new mouse THEME.....just the arrow pointer.....OR is it possible to actually edit the mouse pointer itself and enlarge it?

Stephen
03-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Hmm.. can't find those four you mention, how are you seeing them? - I looked under themes based on what you said, but no luck :(

Still no idea about the typing/insert cursor either - a block would likely be more visible that a line I am hoping! oh well, back to the draining board! :wink:

Try this as root to display change to --config in the line if you want to change the cursor and choose the number you want.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# update-alternatives --display x-cursor-theme
x-cursor-theme - status is manual.
link currently points to /etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme
/etc/X11/cursors/core.theme - priority 30
/etc/X11/cursors/redglass.theme - priority 20
/etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme - priority 20
/etc/X11/cursors/handhelds.theme - priority 20
Current `best' version is /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme.

bob58
03-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Stephen....I hate to sound dumb but I am not sure I follow you....I went into /etc/x11/cursors and there are 4 files in there: core.theme, handhelds.theme, redglass.theme and whiteglass.theme. When I click on, say core.theme to look at the file, all it says is:

[Icon Theme]
Inherits=core

I am not sure what the rest of what you said has sunk in yet! Could you explain a little more detailed for me? Is it these .theme files that I have to add something to? bob

Stephen
03-30-2004, 08:09 PM
I am not sure what the rest of what you said has sunk in yet! Could you explain a little more detailed for me? Is it these .theme files that I have to add something to? bob

You use the update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme as root and change the current cursor to one you want.

bob58
03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Stephen...thanks for helping me...so what i do is bring up console and as root, type in "update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme" and it will prompt me to type in a different theme such as redglass.theme or whiteglass.theme? Sorry to be such a bonehead....bob

Stephen
03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi Stephen...thanks for helping me...so what i do is bring up console and as root, type in "update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme" and it will prompt me to type in a different theme such as redglass.theme or whiteglass.theme? Sorry to be such a bonehead....bob

Yes except you choose the number of the alternative you want.

bob58
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Hi Stephen....I tried that and it worked as far as a different cursor. I picked the red one which is easier to see but it is still very small.....but I guess I can live with it now....I have not tried the other 2 choices yet.....thanks for that code....it did help. bob