PDA

View Full Version : Another horrible newbie question

Diver
02-24-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm running Knoppix from the CD. I've been at it for three daysI. I'd like to know what the basic proceedure is for downloading a program and installing it. I assume I have to make one of my drives readable. How do I do that?
-Diver

cascadefx
02-24-2003, 06:59 PM
First, a big ole' warning:
DON'T ATTEMPT TO DO THIS UNLESS YOU (a)HAVE BACKUPS OF ANY IMPORTANT DATA OR PROGRAMS THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN'T DO WITHOUT OR (B) DON'T CARE AND ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO LOSE EVERYTHING WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT.

The only reason I say this is because nothing should go wrong, but something could go wrong.

Now, follow the steps included in the Docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/). Specifically, the FaqInstall (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/) should answer your questions.

For all the newbies out there. First, welcome. Second, many of your questions should be answered in the FAQs in the Docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/). Also, try searching the Forum before posting to it. It helps cut down on the redundancy of questions. Now, it you have tried all of this and have a nuance that wasn't covered in any of the above, please make sure to explain how it is different so we don't waste your time. After all, we all want to help

--Peace

zzyzx
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
That being said. If you installed knoppix to the hard disk with knx-hdinstall, it would be easy. But to do it while on the CD?????

www.phpcad.com/knoppix-install.html

Diver
02-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Thank you both so much for responding. Like many windows users who are trying out the CD bootable knoppix, I'm dying to be converted, and I appreciate your efforts to respond to my possibly silly question. After all, the bootable CD Knoppix is already chock full of great useable programs. Basically what I want to do is fool around a little and get a feel of how things work in general. Thanks also for the standard warning to back up everything. I have done this, but I dont want to have to actually use any of my back ups...So, instead of trying to download and use a program, I think I'll start with something simpler. By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?

Thanks again-

-Diver

aay
02-24-2003, 10:02 PM
By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?

It's not a dumb question at all. I remember when I first started using linux and it took me a little while to figure out how drives are handled. You'll first need to mount the floppy. You can do this by clicking on the floppy icon on your desktop (or going to the command line and typing: 'mount /mnt/f.oppy').

Your floppy will be found at /mnt/floppy. This is where you will want to save you files. Hope this helps.

P.S.

You can check out this (http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/lnag_drives.html) page for a better desciption of how drives work in linux. The site is pretty good in general for linux basics.

David Douthitt
02-25-2003, 02:26 AM
By the way, I have already done alot of reading, but I'll do some more before asking my next dumb question. Wait, I do have one more: How can I save a document to a floppy? Save under and then what?

It's not a dumb question at all. I remember when I first started using linux and it took me a little while to figure out how drives are handled. You'll first need to mount the floppy. You can do this by clicking on the floppy icon on your desktop (or going to the command line and typing: 'mount /mnt/f.oppy').

Your floppy will be found at /mnt/floppy. This is where you will want to save you files. Hope this helps.

This is the traditional way - except Knoppix makes smart use of the Linux automounter. This automatically mounts and dismounts drives as desired.

If I read the (original) automounts correctly, Knoppix will automatically mount the floppy when you change into the directory /mnt/floppy - but that might not be right. Try it and see - and no mounts needed!

Just make sure the automounter is running:

sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start

...as root...

aay
02-25-2003, 03:27 AM
This is the traditional way - except Knoppix makes smart use of the Linux automounter. This automatically mounts and dismounts drives as desired.

If I read the (original) automounts correctly, Knoppix will automatically mount the floppy when you change into the directory /mnt/floppy - but that might not be right. Try it and see - and no mounts needed!

Just make sure the automounter is running:

sudo /etc/init.d/autofs start

...as root...

Good point.