PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX "KDE CVS"

w.nelson
03-30-2004, 05:45 AM
I am downloading this for the first time it is a CVS for KDE/Knoppix

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/kdecvs/

Walt

[edit by Fabianx:

This is a remaster, which does not feature Knoppix CVS, but "KDE CVS". So this is _no_ preview of the upcoming Knoppix, but of the upcoming KDE.]

Stephen
03-30-2004, 06:28 AM
I am downloading this for the first time it is a CVS for KDE/Knoppix

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/kdecvs/

Walt

Moved to news.

w.nelson
03-30-2004, 06:46 AM
I am not sure how to change from DE to US. It boots upfine but in DE only.

Walt

Update it is Regional & Accessibility

Stephen
03-30-2004, 07:53 AM
I am not sure how to change from DE to US. It boots upfine but in DE only.

Walt

Update it is Regional & Accessibility

knoppix lang=us at the opening screen just type it in and enter.

timread
03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I have just downloaded the iso, burned it on a CDRW and am using it now with the 2.6.3 kernal to post this message. Very nice...

The only problem I see is that the vertical refresh rate is very conservative for my monitor, but when I try to boot using the cheat code for 85Hz:

knoppix26 -vsync=85

The screen just goes blank and does not boot... Any ideas how to change it from within KDE?

BTW, I was suprised to see that Mozilla was not included. Will it be included in the final release of knoppix 3.4?

Tim

w.nelson
03-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I am a mail list and was notified that this was up. You can ask about any changes or modification by subscribing

debian-kde-cvs mailing list
debian-kde-cvs@opendoorsoftware.com
http://opendoorsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/debian-kde-cvs

akira
03-30-2004, 04:32 PM
i just download...
Knoppix 3.4
Kernel 2.4.25 (default)
Kernel 2.6.3 (in boot menu >knoppix26 lang=xx)
kde 3.2.1
Hd install: "su root knoppix-installer" (from command line)

Wonderful! thanks knoppix... thanks linux
i´m still crying...
Saludos Arie&kaliskas

hkfczrqj
03-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Downloading... nice speed so far. However, I wonder... would a torrent for this iso be useful? (to ease the load on the server :) )

mikekgr
03-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi friends,
what is this knoppix-cvs ???? Any info ???

Thanks

probono
03-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi friends,
what is this knoppix-cvs ???? Any info ???

Hi, I'm just running this and it is an inofficial remaster featuring the KDE cvs development version. It is useful for KDE contributors who want to test a very bleeding-edge KDE version but I would not recommend it for general usage. The KDE packages there are not supported and are incompatible with the official ones.

The wait for 3.4 continues...

zenok
03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
delete

SUOrangeman
03-31-2004, 08:29 AM
Who controls the kernel used in this release?

I still need the driver for my Promise SATA150 TX4 compiled into the kernel. I don't know if just the module will work, as I've never gotten far enough to try. Besides, it'd likely need to be in an initrd anyway.

Otherwise, I cannot see my hard drives,nor will I ever be able to boot KNOPPIX from them!

-SUO

Superstoned
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
You should only use this to try the new KDE, not knoppix - it has nothing new compared to the 3.4 cebit edition, exept it features KDE cvs - which means unstable and incompattible with normal packages...

So DONT do a harddisk install, cuz it will only install a broken debian system. A Knoppix 3.3 installation can be easilly upgraded with the new software from debian unstable, so you'll have an up-to-date system, and there is no need to wait for 3.4!

Waiting for 3.4 is only usefull if 3.3 doesnt work, or you only want to use it as live cd.

zenok
03-31-2004, 02:11 PM
I am posting again because I want to say that this was really quick and just for a look - not install!!!

A few programs are removed and this was done bad! Sorry do say that but it is so! Knoppix 3.4 will be soon avaible with KDE 3.2.x and it will be integrated better!

SUOrangeman
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
I should've left that last sentence out of my original post. :)

To reiterate my point, I cannot even see my hard drives with a 2.6 kernel unless the driver for the Promise SATA 150TX4 controller is compiled into the kernel. I *may* have legitimate reasons (unrelated to HD install) for wanting to see my hard drive.

I've had this problem with most distros featuring a 2.6 kernel. Gentoo and Mandrake are the only releases that appear to work, due to the reasoning mentioned above.

-SUO

EmDee
03-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Just wanted to let ya'll know that there has been a release of "LinuxDefender Live! 1.5.6", it is a knoppix mod based on 3.4 cebit featuring some anti-virus software. Official annoucement here: http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/presscenter.php?menu_id=25&n_id=84, torrent there: http://www.bitdefender.ro/download/CeBIT/LinuxDefender_Live_v1.5.6_CeBIT.iso.torrent!

Edit: probono was a little faster than me; http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9388.

w.nelson
03-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Sorry for my over anticipation on this :oops:

I thought it was a good preview?

The previous mail list was a good source for KDE CVS.

:oops:

Fabianx
03-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Sorry for my over anticipation on this :oops:

I thought it was a good preview?

The previous mail list was a good source for KDE CVS.

:oops:

Hi,

it was a developer version. And meant as a preview to KDE CVS, rather than to Knoppix 3.4 ;-) (which will have the _stable_ KDE 3.2.1)

If you read the other thread, you'll see that I encouraged to take publicity down. ;-)

Btw. it would be nice, if you had a email-adress in the profile or activated pm :-).

So, if one wants to see how KDE CVS did look like on 2004-03-16, its the distro to download.

So I'll wait for 3.4 to come ... ( "Klaus !" )

... and then sync and release Knoppix KDE CVS again :-).

cu

Fabian

EmDee
04-01-2004, 07:33 PM
There's also a *.torrent available at http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969 now!

ruymbeke
04-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Hello, I am new in this forum, and I am not sure this the right place to post bug fix and new features requests for the 3.4 CVS (futur 3.4 release). Anyway ...

1) I found that the default font used by the terminal window is not good for mc (Midnight Commander). Squares are used instead of the nice lines.
Changing the font solves the problem. Would be good to change the default.

2) Since new Network Cards are used by new computer, and supported by other linux kernel why not add support for these in Knoppix ? In my case, I am especially interested into the Realtek 8169 Gigabit adapter.

Hope this will be useful to someone...
Thanks, Gilles

Superstoned
04-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Hello, I am new in this forum, and I am not sure this the right place to post bug fix and new features requests for the 3.4 CVS (futur 3.4 release). Anyway ...

1) I found that the default font used by the terminal window is not good for mc (Midnight Commander). Squares are used instead of the nice lines.
Changing the font solves the problem. Would be good to change the default.

2) Since new Network Cards are used by new computer, and supported by other linux kernel why not add support for these in Knoppix ? In my case, I am especially interested into the Realtek 8169 Gigabit adapter.

Hope this will be useful to someone...
Thanks, Gilles

1. you most likely found a bug in KDE CVS (not knoppix itself) which is not strange, cuz CVS means even worse than beta or alpha... dont use this to try linux or knoppix, only to check the current state of the development tree of KDE.

2. maybe the new knoppix release 3.4 will support your card. if not, you might ask again, or try to find out how to get support for this card, and tell the dev's so they can easilly add your solution.