PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage killed Knoppix can't fsck

Cowboy7704
03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Hello all,

As the subject suggests I recently had a power outage knock out my Knoppix box. Whenever I reboot it it takes me into single user mode.

I have tried running fsck but get the following error

"fsck: error while loading shared libraries: libblkid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: Input/Output error"

This box is a mail server (you can still e-mail a solution at BJames@jamesgang.dyndns.org) so I need to get it up and running ASAP

Thanks in advance.

Bryan James

garyng
03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Get yourself a KNOPPIX CD, boot from it and do the fsck from there.

Cowboy7704
03-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes I had just started doing that when your message came in, however that doesn't seem to work, I just rebooted and am getting the same errors.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated

Bryan

garyng
03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
what is your setup then ? what file system is used for the root fs ? It could mean that the underlying data has been corrupted which no fsck can cure. fsck as far as I know can only fix meta data(the file system structure, not the data) unless there is transaction logging on data as well. It depends.

Cowboy7704
03-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm running ext2 as my base FS, it is now saying when I reboot thatlibblkid.so.1 is not found, so the fsck did seem to solve the I/O error, but it seems to have trashed the file in the process.

garyng
03-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I would suggest a reinstall given what you saw as no one knows what other files have been corrupted.

Stephen
03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
I would suggest a reinstall

And use ext3 or reiserfs this time for the file system.

Cowboy7704
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
<sigh> I was afraid it was going to come down to that... ok thanks for the help all.

Bryan

garyng
03-30-2004, 09:40 PM
I would suggest a reinstall

And use ext3 or reiserfs this time for the file system.

I understand that both support transaction logging but as far as I know, the default behaviour of ext3 is only log metadata and it may not help in this case as it seems to be actual file content being lost.

What would be the best setting for the file system to protect this kind of error ?