PDA

View Full Version : Orinoco PCMCIA card help!

atca
03-31-2004, 12:33 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and a Orinoco Silver 802.11g PCMCIA card.

1.I am running the KNOPPIX cd version I assume this is not KNOPPIX STD can anyone confirm this?

2.Note I am new to Linux very new so I'll need everything explaining even how to bring up folders and shells and the folder locations sorry.

3.I have run Wavelan configuration but it says "No wireless network card found"

4.I assume Eth0 is my Orinoco card not the built in LAN can some one confirm this too?

5.How do I get the wireless card to work?

6.I read some where I need to patch the orinoco card how do i do this?
7.Where/what is teh wireless shell?

Sorry for the n00bness convert me from XP to Linux!

TIA

Atca

greenprimary
04-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Well buddy, I have a similar problem. Everyone talks about how great Orinoco is with Knoppix but the archives are full of people complaining. Personally, my Knoppix tells me that there are no wireless extensions, let alone wireless hardware. I am sure that there's a simple answer out there but no one has posted it. You might try a different type of linux or a different card that a friend can help you set up because no one here can tell you how to make Orinoco work. They will tell you that there's works great but no one can explain why. :cry: Personally I do not think that Orinoco works with Knoppix and although some people have claimed otherwise no one has said how to do it. There should be a wireless guide for n00bs. If I ever find out how to make it work I will post the answer. Sorry to bear bad news but if you check the archives for this topic you will see that I am right.

OErjan
04-09-2004, 09:36 PM
orinoco 802.11b cards work great in linux, i use one now.
the g cards take some patching of the kernel, that is a recompile from patched source.
atleast that is what I know the situation to be.

level
04-09-2004, 10:52 PM
This might be of some help:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9524

It's a 3Com card but it is 802.11g

garyng
04-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Well buddy, I have a similar problem. Everyone talks about how great Orinoco is with Knoppix but the archives are full of people complaining. Personally, my Knoppix tells me that there are no wireless extensions, let alone wireless hardware. I am sure that there's a simple answer out there but no one has posted it. You might try a different type of linux or a different card that a friend can help you set up because no one here can tell you how to make Orinoco work. They will tell you that there's works great but no one can explain why. :cry: Personally I do not think that Orinoco works with Knoppix and although some people have claimed otherwise no one has said how to do it. There should be a wireless guide for n00bs. If I ever find out how to make it work I will post the answer. Sorry to bear bad news but if you check the archives for this topic you will see that I am right.

I don't know about the new orinoco, but for the old one (mine is 802.11b), the gotcha is to have the WEP setup first(as I use the gateway which is WEP enabled). Knoppix at that time have the program execution order reversed. It did an ifconfig BEFORE iwconfig(which is used to setup the WEP key). Otherwise, it works great as the kernel module support orinoco nicely and one doesn't need to search for modules like some newer cards.