PDA

View Full Version : firewall yes or no can ports be opened

firebyrd10
03-31-2004, 01:02 AM
I've been searching through the forum with so far no helpful answers.

Is there a firewall inplace on the live cd version 3.3 of knoppix? I want to know because I like to be an Ultrapeer in in gnuetlle (is that how you spell it) network and while on knoppix I can't run bearshare so I downloaded Limewire anyway I set the ports to forward to my IP address (I manually set it) and waited all night in hopes of becoming an Ultrapeer. I know the option to become one isn't turned off and by now I would have become one normally so my guess is there is a firewall blocking LimeWire's port (6346) I know it must be knoppix in someway because on Windows I can connect just fine (I use the same IP on knoppix as in windows)

Now then if there is a firewall how do I open a port and/or disable it?

firebyrd10
04-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Ok its been a few days and still doesn't seem to be working.

Stephen
04-02-2004, 10:58 PM
I've been searching through the forum with so far no helpful answers.

Is there a firewall inplace on the live cd version 3.3 of knoppix? I want to know because I like to be an Ultrapeer in in gnuetlle (is that how you spell it) network and while on knoppix I can't run bearshare so I downloaded Limewire anyway I set the ports to forward to my IP address (I manually set it) and waited all night in hopes of becoming an Ultrapeer. I know the option to become one isn't turned off and by now I would have become one normally so my guess is there is a firewall blocking LimeWire's port (6346) I know it must be knoppix in someway because on Windows I can connect just fine (I use the same IP on knoppix as in windows)

Now then if there is a firewall how do I open a port and/or disable it?

There is no firewall on the Knoppix CD when running all ports should be closed by default unless you open them up. Go to Arno's (http://rocky.molphys.leidenuniv.nl/) and get the iptables firewall script. Set it up according to the instructions and in the /etc/iptables-firewall.conf set these if you need both the TCP and UDP ports open and NATed then start the firewall.

NAT_TCP_FORWARD="6346>192.168.0.1"
NAT_UDP_FORWARD="6346>192.168.0.1"

Change the 192.168.0.1 to the address being forwarded too if you only need the ports open on the firewall machine then use these.

OPEN_TCP=6346""
OPEN_UDP="6346"
OPEN_IP=""
OPEN_ICMP=0