PDA

View Full Version : AHHH NEED HELP router splitter or switch???

nd4spdbh
03-31-2004, 02:39 AM
OK heres the deal i need a direct line from my modem to be able to host a counterstrike game. U cant use port fowarding on my dlink rouner i have already tried :( . SO what should i do. buy a switch or a splitter. Better yet what is the difference between a router switch and a splitter.(explain their functions)
THANKS

firebyrd10
03-31-2004, 03:55 AM
a splitter takes a wire and, well, splits it up. More or less like a hub.

A router is smarta and can give you more ports but can also assign Ip's which is useful if you have to pay a broadband company per IP because the router creats a little netwrok with Ip's like 192.169.x.xxx with one external ip (in other words, for all your broadband company knows its just one PC) A switch is really just a more advanced hub because it allcolates each computer a certain amount of speed unlike a hub which speed changes as more computer turn on.

With the router, see if you can do DMZ that might help.

nd4spdbh
03-31-2004, 05:10 AM
ok thanks man

nd4spdbh
03-31-2004, 05:13 AM
What a DMZ i kno my router has it an i kno how to get to it but what is its use

firebyrd10
03-31-2004, 10:29 PM
DMZ pretty much tells the router to let an IP bypass the NAT security complety which is causing your problems. You will be less secure (the same as a splitter or hub) but it should fix most problems that port forwarding doesn't.

Harry Kuhman
03-31-2004, 11:53 PM
DMZ pretty much tells the router to let an IP bypass the NAT security complety which is causing your problems. You will be less secure (the same as a splitter or hub) but it should fix most problems that port forwarding doesn't.

DMZ does NOT bypass NAT. You still get assigned an address in the 196.168 range (thus the "address translation" part of Network Address Translation or NAT). What it does is forward all packets to the designated address unless the rouuter knows that they should go to a different address on the local network.

I don't know the details for Counter Strike, although a quick Google search should give the information. DMZ is handy, but not a cure all. And it opens the machine to a lot of security issues.

If the data portion (not the header) of the packets used in counter strike contain the IP address of the server (as is done with Net Meeting and some types of FTP transfer) then being in the DMZ will not resolve the problem; if the IP address is not sent as data then port forwarding should resolve the issue, as long as all of the ports involved are forwarded.

firebyrd10
04-01-2004, 01:45 AM
acually I knew that. Why I put what I did I don't know. :oops:

Harry is right all it does is forward all ports.

which sometimes can or can't help.

nd4spdbh
04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Ok i c. I have tried port fowarding but the prob is is that the game is hosted under my lan ip. And u need the ip to log in. So oh well.

Harry Kuhman
04-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Ok i c. I have tried port fowarding but the prob is is that the game is hosted under my lan ip. And u need the ip to log in. So oh well.

People are hosting Half-Life / CS behind NAT devices. It can be done. This isn't the place to discuss Half-Life server hosting issues, however. Spend some time doing Google searching and be sure you have ALL of the required incoming ports forwarded (ther are more than one) for both UPD and TCP. Beyond that you should be posting this request in a Half-Life / CS forum.

firebyrd10
04-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Go to www.whatismyip.com and if you have ports fo9rwared to your IP tell the people to go to that one.

nd4spdbh
04-02-2004, 01:47 AM
ok this is the last time i will be posting in this board but i have already gone to d like and i have opened every port needed to run a server for cs so i dont kno what the heck is going on.