PDA

View Full Version : /boot issue

deftblake
12-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi all,

I got through the HD install ok with one exception: it reboots into "kernel panic". I'm sure I'm missing something. I did CFDISK and made a "/boot" for hda1, a "/" for hda3 and a "swap" partition for hda2. The install asked me for a swap which I specified as "hda2", and the root partition as "hda3", but it didn't ask me for a /boot partition? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

aay
12-12-2002, 07:29 AM
Which Knoppix release are you using? I was in the IRC chat room earlier and noticed someone getting a kernel panic message from an install he did with the 12-10 release. This came from him trying to install and format with Reisers. The new release (today!) supposedly fixes this. I'm supposing that everything was ok from the cd...that you are just getting these messages now. Correct?

12-26-2002, 02:22 AM
kernel panic literally means linux can't find or mount the root filesystem, or one of the boot files, it that's any help. By definition it happens before any of the init scripts are run.

Hi all,

I got through the HD install ok with one exception: it reboots into "kernel panic". I'm sure I'm missing something. I did CFDISK and made a "/boot" for hda1, a "/" for hda3 and a "swap" partition for hda2. The install asked me for a swap which I specified as "hda2", and the root partition as "hda3", but it didn't ask me for a /boot partition? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

tuxtom
01-22-2003, 12:25 PM
I use a 32 MB boot partition and a mbr installed grub from a formerly installed mandrix 9 to boot my hd installation of KNOPPIX.
Just copy the kernelimage, system.map & initrd.gz from KNOPPIX:/boot to that boot partition, edit /grub/menu.lst to to boot options of the new knx-hd-installation and it works.
I prefer grub before lilo, cause you haven't to make an install after a kernel change.

tom