PDA

View Full Version : Noob wants to Remaster Knoppix

Drezliok
03-31-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm a newbie, I've played with linux for about a year useing Mandrake 9.2 and MandrakeMove. I tried Knoppix and like it more than the MandrakeMove. But I want to make alterations.

So my goals are:
Learn the ins and outs of Linux by Remastering Knoppix with such changes as, Replaceing Mozilla with Mozilla FireFox, if possable install Mnadrake's Disk partitian utility, I think it's call DiskDrak. Then to do something about the slowdown of remastered disks because they aren't optimized.

Any Tips and tricks, or basic information would be nice.
Thankyou for your time.

[EDIT]
I'd also like it to auto scan for home, if able.

[Another EDIT]
What does knoppix use for compression? I notice it's been said to be totally differnt than the [i]How To's

Drezliok
03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Are the Remastering programs any good?

cesman
03-31-2004, 09:38 PM
Follow the directions in the HowTo(that's how I started KnoppMyth). Cloop is the compression used.

Drezliok
03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Follow the directions in the HowTo(that's how I started KnoppMyth). Cloop is the compression used.

How would I compress with cloop so I can get the same compression, I've noticed that people aren't useing cloop to do it.

mazaal
04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
How would I compress with cloop so I can get the same compression, I've noticed that people aren't useing cloop to do it.

in fact the command is create_compressed_fs, it converts a filesystem to a cloop volume

create_compressed_fs compresses a filesystem image to a compressed image suitable for mounting with the cloop driver