PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Windows Files to delete them. Help

anton26
03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Here is what I am trying to do.
I am trying to remove a virus from a windows2000 machine. I want to boot off the knoppix cd (which I know how to do and have done) to access the hard drive for the Windows2000 machine.

The reason for doing it this way is because by nmanualy trying to delete the virus file or using an anti-virus software I can not delete the file.

So I figure on using knoppix and trying to delete the file off the hard drive.

Can something like this be done, even thought the file cannot be accesses via a windows environment?

firebyrd10
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
It might be a NTFS partition which knoppix can't write too. You can try to get the unoffical 3.4 and see if you can do it.

anton26
03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Even though its an NTFS isn't there a way to mount the drive and make it write able through knoppix?

If it were a FAT then I assume this would be a possibillity to get rid of virus files that will not allow them selves to be deleted in a windows / DOS environment?

OErjan
04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
yes if it is fat it is easy to delete the files IF you know where they are and what they are called
just rightklick on the disk icon and select them to become read/write...

anton26
04-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks kindly my friend I shall try this :)

mcaycedo
04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
try Linux Defender (http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/downloads.php?menu_id=21) Is intended exactly to solve your kind of problems