PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer partition

ykhov
03-31-2004, 10:04 PM
I am wondering whether knoppix-installer script written by Fabian will detect and use my other partition such as /home, /usr and /opt during the installation process.

I read a knoppix hd install tutorial and it just recommends at least 5 gig partition for the root / and a /swap.

Stephen
03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I am wondering whether knoppix-installer script written by Fabian will detect and use my other partition such as /home, /usr and /opt during the installation process.

I read a knoppix hd install tutorial and it just recommends at least 5 gig partition for the root / and a /swap.

You have to run through the setup for an installation then save the configuration to a file then open the file for editing and look in the Drive Map section and edit according to the partitions you want used save it and then load the saved file in the installer and install. That tutorial is for the old knx-hdinstall script so is out of date.

ykhov
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
thanks stephen for your reply. I managed to do it.

I wish Klaus would make knoppix more user friendly for a hard-drive install. Don't get me wrong. i love knoppix and I understand that it was designed to be used as a live cd.

I love knoppix so much I use it to install debian rather than going through debian's hellish installer. The new sarge version still sucks.

Maybe there should be cheat code that one can enter during the bootup that will open a installation process similar to Mandrake 9.2. (IMO the most user friendly linux hd installer) IE, something that allows the user to partician drives, set local, internet, sound etc... then knoppix would be the best distro to convert newbies. Why? debian's apt-get is simply the best to install applications which is ultimately why an OS is useful. :D

sandiegocal
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
stephen or ykhov

is this process that you described documented somewhere? i would like to accomplish the same thing, but i am not very experienced in linux installation.

thank you

ykhov
04-02-2004, 04:07 PM
This describe how you can move your /home (stored on the same partician as root) to a new partician if you have already done a hard drive install of knoppix.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HomePartitionHowTo

This one describes how you can make knoppix-installer detect particians other than / and /swap during the installastion process.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6715

I suggest you just use three particians: /, /swap, and /home. This is pretty standard for home use linux desktop.

sandiegocal
04-03-2004, 04:47 AM
thanks for the reply.

i am installing a linux fileserver (NAS) in a windows active directory domain, so more partitions are necessary. particularly the /var partition so the logs can't crash the system, and perhaps a /home partition for shares.

i used the knx-hdinstall script without problems when i was testing the concept, setting up samba, winbind, etc. to make sure i could use linux as NAS. it worked fine.

now, i need to set it up correctly. i have followed the directions at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6715
but it looks like my /var and /home partitions don't get mounted during the knoppix-installer script, even though they are added to .knofig like this: HD_MAP= "/dev/hda3:/var /dev/hda6:/home"
all the partitions are formatted before running the knoppix-installer script, so i am not sure what i am doing wrong.

any ideas?

ykhov
04-04-2004, 02:09 PM
but it looks like my /var and /home partitions don't get mounted during the knoppix-installer script, even though they are added to .knofig like this: HD_MAP= "/dev/hda3:/var /dev/hda6:/home"
all the partitions are formatted before running the knoppix-installer script, so i am not sure what i am doing wrong.

Make sure you unmount all particians before running knoppix-installer. Note that pressing the hard drive icons on kde desktop will mount particians automatically.

sandiegocal
04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
thanks.
i believe I was not reformatting the partitions when I went to reinstall, so the partition already had information on them, and were being ignored. Once I formatted them again, then the installation went smoothly.

For others that may be reading this thread, I found saving my .knofig file to a floppy is easier, and then loading it in knoppix-installer, gives me a permanent copy, rather than losing it each time.

A couple of bugs, perhaps, in knoppix-installer that I noted (that did not occur when using knx-hdinstall). One, the network card is not automatically enabled. Two, the floppy drive is not automatically mounted, and an icon placed on the desktop. Both are very easily accomplished, but would be nice to have it done automatically.