PDA

View Full Version : Sagem 800 usb modem with Knoppix live cd

samjor
04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Hi I recenlty downloaded Knoppix live cd, but am having trouble installing the drivers and configuring the modem, is this possible with Live cd. Am an absolute newbie to Linux and would need to have things explained to me in the simplest form, I have looked though the forum threads and have came across some topics relating to my problem but I havent had much luck as I dont have much of an understanding of command lines and kernals and stuff. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

fozzieb
04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm same problem, I use tiscali and they gave me a Sagem F@st 800 usb (only) modem, I cant get it to work under Linux (not just knoppix)

Does anyone have any idea's?

flaviusc
04-27-2004, 06:25 PM
This is the thread for me :), I just hope that someone will show a solution to our problem.

fozzieb
04-28-2004, 10:45 AM
I have a linux driver and instructions that i got from the sagem web site, but i have not had time to try them.

www.sagem.com

Patrick_uk
05-04-2004, 10:02 PM
I have downloaded the Linux driver fast800.2.0.7_fr from www.sagem.com but cannot make it work. USBview shows ADSL-USB and the adsl modem LED is off.
Whenever I try to install, Knoppix says to use debian alien.
I have the Sagem instal notes but can't make it work.
I have also downloaded BitDefender anti-virus for Linux, but cannot install that either, always get the 'alien' message.

Solving this would clearly help a lot of people. Can someone please give us the command/options for a clean install.

I thank you in advance.

Edit:- 21-May-2004
Sagem have told me that their Linux driver fast800.2.0.7_fr
is only for redhat, mandrak and suse :roll:

divali
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I am inthe same situation but am about to use Eagl-usb driver. You might want to give it a go. I will let you know how I get on. Watch this space.
divali.

lig1uk
08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Like others I am a complete newcomer to the world of Knoppix. However I have been able to successfully get the Sagem 800 ADSL modem to connect to Tiscali in the UK. I did it by using the download file and instructions on the Sagem site referenced in another note.
My problem now is that following the instructions although I can get it working one time at installation time, even though I then save the My Configuration file, it is not actually working for the next time that I login. It does save my account and password details. I guess that I am missing a very important step! Can someone help me here please??
The main Sagem steps in the instructions are to download a "tar" file, and then unpack it to a temp directory. Then to change directory eagle-usb/ .. followed by "ll"
Next steps are application of a patch, automatic configuration, make, make install, eagleconfig and finally startadsl.

I am nearly there! Where am I going wrong?

jentolinux
08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
8) Hi I'm there with you all trying to connect to tiscali via the sagem 800 modem with little success so far.I've tried all sorts of things including eagle-usb and managed to wipe off my mandrake linux install. Now I have win xp to connect to tiscali broadband so I can get online that way.I also have knoppix live cd which boots fine but no matter how I try to configure Kppp I just cannot make my connection to the net and tiscali broadband.I would love to run on knoppix version of linux but if I cannot access net then I'm doing something wrong or something is missing.I would be eternally grateful if some kind person out there could help me in a way I can understand as I don't know about root terminals and bios or any of those things!

divali
09-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Is this a case of the blind leading the blind??

jentolinux
09-02-2005, 12:18 PM
:D Hi All my connection problems are now resolved thanks to Mandriva.com club and forums
I would point any one with this same problem to the advice of rolfp and others.
The forums are free to browse as a visitor.
Worked great for me but I cannot explain any better than them!
Good luck to all :D

divali
11-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Sorry, JENTOLINUX, I have searched and searched Mandriva club site for your reference but I could not see anything useful there. Could you be a bit more specific. A url maybe?

divali
11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Well after a bit of searching around I realized that I was barking up the wrong tree. According to this link it seems that it is not possible to add programmes to a Live cd like Knoppix, you have to first do a hard drive install. Read on. :oops:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53191

Harry Kuhman
11-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Well after a bit of searching around I realized that I was barking up the wrong tree. According to this link it seems that it is not possible to add programmes to a Live cd like Knoppix, you have to first do a hard drive install. Read on. :oops:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53191
Sounds like really bad advice to me. With the union file system you should be able to add programs. Also see the klik forum, a great system that was designed to add programs even without the union file system. Installing Knoppix is not good advice unless it contains warnings of the problems that those who try to do it often face, as Knoppix is intended as a live CD, not a hard disk installed system.

divali
11-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks Harry, I always find your advice to be good. I will look into it.

divali
11-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Harry, Ok, Now we know that the Eagle-usb or Fast800 modem drivers can be used with Knoppix. Do you know how to direct me to any info as to go about installing them. I am using Knoppix 3.7. on a machine running Suse 10.
Here's what I did:
> I extracted the tar file into /tmp.
> Applied the patch.
> Ran ./configure.
> Ran make.
and this is where I ran into trouble. Could it be the wrong gcc? as there was a signal, or could it be the kernel sources? I couldn't find them. Are they on my disc?
Can you help from your end?

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Harry, Ok, Now we know that.....
Sorry, I don' think I can be of any help here. I took excepion with the "can't install any programs in Knoppix" statement. But installing drivers for a device, particularly a USB device, may be a bit harder. I don't know if it's going to be able to be done or not. I personally avoid USB networking. I have tried it, and both common sense (based on a knowledge of USB and networking) and experience tells me that it is a Bad Idea™. Back when I got my high speed connection six years ago I refused to accept either a USB device or a dsl card that installed right in a PCI slot and needed a special windows driver. My stubborness and the fighting I had to do with the customer service people paid off; I was able to add an ethernet router to my system and have had very little networking related problems over the years. At first Knoppix refused to recognize my wireless cards, I simply didn't use wireless and tried each new release with my cards until fnally 3.8 recognized one and I could connect wirelessly. Perhaps I could have made ndiswrapper work before that, but it wasn't a priority issue for me.

3.7 pre-dates the union file system, so that limits install options a good deal (and of course I'm talking about Knoppix from CD or DVD here, if you think Knoppix should be installed to hard disk then we just have different religious views too diverse to find points of agreement). I would suggest making sure that the hardware matched the real world and didn't need special drivers that lock you into windows, and then using 4.0.2 of Knoppix. I wish you luck getting what you have working, but I can't provide any insight on how to do that.

divali
11-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks, it does seem like banging your head against a brick wall when an ethernet router/modem would solve all the problems in one go. Just following all possibilities..
Sorry about the "can't install any programs in Knoppix", it was a quote I picked up from another thread. As you might have noticed, I'm still learning about the wonderful world and scope of Knoppix.