PDA

View Full Version : proper complete harddisk install

fabfab
04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
hi there

i got a compaq evo200 subnotebook without any external drives, so i tried to install knoppix using another (a dell) laptop and knx-hdinstall. but that didn't work very well because it saved the dell-system-configuration to the harddisk and then consequently didn't boot properly (network card didnt work, most of all) as i placed it back into my evo200.

so, anyone got a good idea what to do?
i was wondering if i couldn't copy the whole cd to the disk and run it like a cd right there - that would make sure all the hardware is autoconfigured properly. - but i couldn't find any how to's, they all use some kind of extra boot disk or something..
why can't i just copy the complete cd data as it is to a blank partition on my hard disk and install it to another one? does the knoppix-cd-content have to be ran from cd?

johnb
04-01-2004, 08:46 PM
You can install to the hard drive as a knoppix-style install.

knoppix-installer

When you choose 1.Configure Installation, one of the last questions is a choice between knoppix or debian style install. Choosing Knoppix should make it act as a live knoppix cd with the autoconfiguation on each boot. I have not tried swaping it to a different computer. Another option would be a network install.
johnb

jfitie
04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
why can't i just copy the complete cd data as it is to a blank partition on my hard disk and install it to another one? does the knoppix-cd-content have to be ran from cd?

you can!

create 3 partitions;

f.ex.

hda1 - 2 mb (boot; make sure this is active)
hda2 - 800 mb (knoppix cd)
hda3 - 512 mb (swap)
hda4 - the rest (persistant home)

use "cat /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img > /mnt/hda1" and make it bootable
format hda2 as FAT32 "mkdosfs /dev/hda2 -F 32" and copy the CD to it "cp -r -v -v /cdrom/* /mnt/hda2"
make hda3 swap "mkswap /dev/hda3; swapon /dev/hda3". Then Format hda4 as ext3 "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda4" and reboot. If you can't boot right away insert a DOS/Windows floppy and use "fdisk /mbr"

Hope this helps.

fabfab
04-03-2004, 05:01 PM
okai, that'll do.. thanks!