PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix as a hardware testing and Windows rescue tool.

SM
02-25-2003, 03:10 AM
This is a marketing suggestion rather than anything else. Why not encourage OEMs and motherboard manufacturers to include a Knoppix CD with every motherboard, OS-less PC, and Windows PC. It is useful for testing of hardware independantly of Windows, recovery from damage to NT bootloader, damage to filesystems and partitions, repartitioning etc. It is also useful for OEM support - instead or trying to troubleshoot an unknown Windows setup, the OEM can ask the user to insert a Knoppix CD to get a standard configuration to troubleshoot. The OEM can also add his own custom tools to automate support and troubleshooting.

Once Windows users try Knoppix, I am sure they will be converted for good.

roberto
02-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Well... Currently, i have been using knoppix at my work as a PC repair technician since the 12-12-02 release... i have included memtest86, f-prot, smartctl, etc to the arsenal already included with knoppix... quite successfully... i am not one for that style of marketing but if you want to know what i had to do let me know :)

dragonfly69uk
02-27-2003, 03:56 PM
as a sys admin for windos nt boxes, i'd love to be able to write to NTFS volume, it would save countless rebuilds when face with BSOD (blue of death). please please pretty please

roberto
03-03-2003, 07:31 AM
agreed.. dumb M$... oh well... dumb software for an unwitting world :-p

sireasoning
03-04-2003, 12:32 AM
as a sys admin for windos nt boxes, i'd love to be able to write to NTFS volume, it would save countless rebuilds when face with BSOD (blue of death). please please pretty please

There are already ntfs file tools to help with recovery available (mostly for a fee though), including some that will allow you to read ntfs from dos (diskette), etc.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

roberto
03-07-2003, 04:16 AM
yeah, I've used some of those as well.... most of the time, your experience will be as follows:

note: you have windows XP and it crashed (like normal) but this time (also like normal) you cant recover it from windows its self. BUT your boot-to-cd recovery console asks you for a password to the partition that you never set (makes it useless). Microsoft has told you that you must re-install the recovery console, BUT your system isnt bootable (not even safe mode). Thus making it so you cant install the recovery console to get your system booting to re-install the recovery console. Ahhh, the chicken or the egg theory lives on...

1.) you search endlessly for an NTFS rescue disk of ANY kind.
2.) you locate someone who has claimed to have cracked NTFS.
3.) you purchase the little app they have assembled.
4.) you get it.
5.) you run it after you figure out how to use it (poor documentation)
6.) you find out it is really either a Windows NT or 2000 version of NTFS support and its write support can corrupt your data :(
7.) you find out that the NTFS for NT and 2000 arent the same as XP's
8.) you get pissed then restore/format the computer in disgust of M$
9.) you make a post here about it and ask questions as to why it doesnt work.
10.) you debate locating and blowing up the M$ headquarters. :evil:

As you may well know i have had this issue before... M$ piece of $hit...
oh well...

toast

dragonfly69uk
03-08-2003, 03:54 AM
my sentiment exactly roberto. i have that unfortunate task days in days out, supporting an organisation paying M$ £25million ($40mil) a year for the priviledge and do we get any better support??

roberto
03-08-2003, 05:21 AM
nope ;-)
great minds think alike then they use knoppix....

toast

cascadefx
03-28-2003, 08:43 PM
1.) you search endlessly for an NTFS rescue disk of ANY kind.
2.) you locate someone who has claimed to have cracked NTFS.
3.) you purchase the little app they have assembled.
4.) you get it.
5.) you run it after you figure out how to use it (poor documentation)
6.) you find out it is really either a Windows NT or 2000 version of NTFS support and its write support can corrupt your data :(
7.) you find out that the NTFS for NT and 2000 arent the same as XP's
8.) you get pissed then restore/format the computer in disgust of M$
9.) you make a post here about it and ask questions as to why it doesnt work.
10.) you debate locating and blowing up the M$ headquarters. :evil:

On the contrary. The Sysinternals stuff (http://www.sysinternals.com) actually works. VERY nice tools. They are just really really pricey. They also have freeware tools (mostly for reading) available from the same guys at http://www.wininternals.com.

I would love for an open source NTFS write driver to hit the market. I use knoppix all the time to recover data and load windows drivers using workarounds right now. So, I guess I don't need them, but they would save a few steps.