PDA

View Full Version : JavaIDE With Knoppix

Tekmaven
02-25-2003, 04:50 AM
Is there anyway to get/install/integrate a Java IDE in Knoppix? I run a high school java programing class, and Knoppix would be perfect!

I'm not very good at Linux, so I would have no idea where to start when making a custom Knoppix cd. Can anyone here help? I was interested in integrating Borland JBuilder Personal (free).

A. Jorge Garcia
02-25-2003, 06:45 AM
I have a CD with IBM Eclipse on it, but it loads up very slowly. Please see my website listed below!

BTW, you don't really need an IDE. I use a text editor to write code for Java (like KATE) and a console window to run javac and java (like KONSOLE). If you're running an applet, write the appropriate *.html file to load it and open from a browser (like KONQUEROR). That's all I use!

NB: javac and java on the KNOPPIX CD are really running an open source Java from the GCC project http://gcc.gnu.org called gcj. I currently teach AP Computer Science using KNOPPIX and g++ from gcc. J2SE 1.4.1 (JDK) is not open source, so its not included in KNOPPIX. The JRE is from Blackdown Java 1.3.

Good Luck,

Tekmaven
02-25-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm working with beginer kids, and they can't handle a straight text editor. They need a more advanced development package, with features like intellisense.

As for the cd with IBM Eclipse, I don't see it on your site. Also, if it is on your site, could you just transfer it to me? I'm on broadband, and even $10 is more then my school wants to put out for technology these days.

Tekmaven
02-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Does Knoppix include any JavaX classes? Javax says the swing class isn't there. Here is my app:

import javax.swing.*;
import java.text.*;

public class Average2 {
public static void main (String[] args) {
double num1, num2, num3, avg;
String input;
DecimalFormat db = new DecimalFormat("###.00");
input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Enter a number:");
num1 = Double.parseDouble(input);
num2 = Double.parseDouble(input);
num3 = Double.parseDouble(input);
avg = (num1 + num2 + num3) / 3.0;
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null, "The average is " + df.format(avg), "Average Computation", JOptionpage.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
System.exit(0);
}
}

The error:
Average2.java:1: Can't find default package `javax.swing'. Check the CLASSPATH environment variable and the access to the archives
1 error

A. Jorge Garcia
02-25-2003, 04:07 PM
I've tried the standard classes plus java.awt.* and java.applet.* - I don't think that javax is fully supported yet. I haven't had a chance to test swing.

However, they're adding to the GCC project every day! Not too long ago, KNOPPIX had a version of gcj that didn't even implement awt or applet yet!

BTW, every time Klaus Knopper updates KNOPPIX, it includes the latest versions of all included packages.

Regards,

Tekmaven
02-26-2003, 12:10 AM
they're adding to the GCC project every day

Hmm... so the JDK isn't installed in Knoppix? My students are used to using swing, and I feel that something else would put them off track (they only really know simple vb, and swing is close to VB's msgbox).

rrud
02-26-2003, 05:21 PM
I have a CD with IBM Eclipse on it, but it loads up very slowly. Please see my website listed below!
Thanks! I will try it.

BTW, you don't really need an IDE. I use a text editor to write code for Java (like KATE) and a console window to run javac and java (like KONSOLE). If you're running an applet, write the appropriate *.html file to load it and open from a browser (like KONQUEROR). That's all I use!

It depends what "really" means to you. You really could solve any computational problem with a simple turing machine and a long string of 0-s and 1-s - it's proven! But its impractical. Your way is fine for typing in a "hello world" program from a textbook and maybe the next 2, 3 examples. It-s also fine for educational purposes where students have to learn coding discipline

I am a professional java developer and do rarely work from scratch. Unually there is a large program to maintain, written by others; and a huge library with 1000-s of classes to use. I need an ide like eclipse, jbuilder or netbeans for efficient work, which supports code completion with integrated javadoc display and a graphical debugger with thread support and expression evaluation, to mention the most important ide features.

The ide-s mentioned above are quite fine, but slow. KDeveloper is contained in the knoppix distribution and very nice for C++ programming - somewhere I read about a java integration module for KDeveloper. Does anyone know how to use/configure KDeveloper as a java ide in knoppix?

A. Jorge Garcia
02-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Yes, of course you are correct. However, we were talking about utilites for teaching students preAP and AP CompSci in High School. For this purpose, KATE/KONSOLE/KONQUEROR is fine. All I miss is swing....

BTW, the CD I have available thru my website with IBM Eclipse on it is the one with the Java re-master.

Regards,