PDA

View Full Version : Boot-Up error kernel BUG at filemap.c:81!...

zavec
04-02-2004, 03:29 AM
I had up until recently, Linux and Windows working fine on my machine - Lilo was boot manager. I performed some updates for linux and thats where that fun ended. :cry:

I am now recieving on boot-up of linux an error. Sometimes my machine gets as far as logging in to linux and sometimes it doesnt. Either way my machine freezes and I usually recieve an error saying "kernel BUG at filemap.c:81! blah blah blah"

Windows boots fine, works fine. :shock:

I have deleted the MBR with both DOS and linux commands and formatted numerous times to no avail.

any ideas?

zavec
04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
anyone.. ?

Durand Hicks
04-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Have you run fsck to see if the linux partition is ok? This seems to be a reference to filemap.c, line 81, if you know how to debug or write a program. If you don't, you'll either need to recompile your kernel (this file is usually part of the kernel), and/or if this was a recent install, reinstall linux. Either way, I don't know how else to help you troubleshoot this the easy way.

zavec
04-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Still cannot re-install knoppix or boot-up knoppix...

Back to Winblows2k on primary and free slave...

When 3.4 comes out, and I get myself a copy... do you/anyone think I maybee able to install knoppix again?

Frustrated

zavec
04-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Latest update...

Logged into Win2k and connected to computer management. Deleted the slave partition with Knoppix on it and then defragmented...

Managed to fire up my pc with the knoppix cd and it didnt crash or freeze with any eror msg's. Went to re-install knoppix (it only gave me ext2 option or xfs), ext2 made pc crash... Restarted blah blah and managed to install xfs ...

Call me crazy but after that install was done I formatted again and installed RedHat9 then formatted again just for good measure and NOW have Knoppix(Debian) on my HD as a ext3.

I hope this will help? lol any1 in the future if they get a similar issue to what I got.. Dont give up ;)

FARK WHAT A MISSION
tired.

Durand Hicks
04-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Did you try compiling a new kernel to see if that's the problem? If you aren't familiar with that process, you can apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.5-(your arch) and edit /etc/lilo.conf and update the bootblock file using dd. That would install debian's precompiled kernel, but it may not be optimized. Debian does go thru the effort to make sure it shouldn't give you any problems, and it's generally better this way than having to reinstall linux. (Btw, my first reaction when i ran into problems was to blow away linux and reinstall it, did that about 5 times before I finally quit doing that and started looking for solutions without having to resort to that.) The filemap error you got was the result of a corrupted or tainted kernel. That's why I suggested compiling a new one (kind of hard without an install to do it from but not impossible if you booted from the cd and chrooted to the install and compiled that way.)