PDA

View Full Version : Credit card DVD knoppix

blahger
04-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Anyone know if credit card sized dvdr's exist? If they do, do they have capacity for a knoppix disc?

I'm tempted to dice up a few dvdr's and try, anyone got a dvd they'd let me test em in :lol:

OErjan
04-02-2004, 09:25 AM
if they exist they should be able to contain a sizable knopix, some 350Mb or so.

softwaretester
05-01-2004, 02:13 PM
There are Mini DVD -R disks out there. (not quite business card sized)
They store 1.4 gigs, and are designed for Mini DVD Recorders.
The disks are very expensive, like 8 bucks a disk last time I checked.

Also, there is no 'cutting down' of the +R media. it's two layers of plastic with dye in the middle.. DOES NOT CUT WELL AT ALL.

OErjan
05-01-2004, 08:37 PM
dpends on how thae are cut i guess.
cutting with scissors is NOT good, but a water cooled (distilled water) sharp finetooth slitting-disk in a shaper, and disk held in a fixture, should work.
otoh that is byond 99% of us.
the deburring and balancing are the hard parts...

softwaretester
05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I don't think the watercooled thing would work either.

with dvd+R media, it's a layer of plastic, some powdery dye (lilke from a dry erase board) and a layer of plastic.
If you cut it, then air gets in between the disks.

Maybe the cutter would work with the -R media.. it's a metallic layer on plastic?
The +R is like a liquid/very fine powder type of thing.

OErjan
05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
hmmmm, perhaps heat to cut? a hot wire at an angle would seal as it goes down... sadly 3mm or so around edge might be affected...
There is ALLWAYS a way. one just has to find it. otoh it migh be an economic disaster, about like those X-boxes for M$.

nos nihil officere non possumus...
OErjan

softwaretester
05-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm thinking you could do it with a soupcan heated up to a coule hundred degrees.

May need to lay an insulating mat on the disk, and put it between two sheets of metal to stop if from warping.

Hand me a blowtorch.. .. and hold my beer, I'm gonna try something.

Darwhin
06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
The only wallet sized cards I could find were from a company that does the copying, silk screening and etc for you with a min order of 500 :-(

http://www.cdfx.com/newsite/dvd_card.php

DVD Business Card pricing from CDFX
The following prices include all film work, mastering, content replication, 5 color cd face graphic printing and other miscellaneous charges. Packaging and shipping charges are not included.
Turnaround times < 5 days are available upon request only. Each card has a maximum storage capacity of 475 MB. Dimensions are 63mm x 80mm.

500 with a 25day turn around for $2.27 per disk
1000 with a 25 day turn around for $1.22 per disk

4c more to get them in 14days...

:idea: :shock: Maybe some entrepreneur would like to buy 1000 of them Remaster a slimmed copy that's only 475mb and sell them for $2 a disk.

:D I'll buy one :!: :D

Matir
10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
I can not confirm this, it only seems to be this way from looking at DVDs, but it seems like DVD+R starts burning at the OUTSIDE of the disk, making a DVD+R mini-dvd impossible. However, I have a mini DVD-RW with Knoppix-STD on it. :) Seems that a standard ISO will work.

coderman
12-12-2004, 01:05 AM
I have built and used a version on mini-dvd-r's which works great. as mentioned previously they hold 1.4G, so i can even include a divx movie with an image.

prices are slowly coming down, i paid about $1.50 US per mini-dvd-r in packs of 20.

the variant i build is called privacy knoppix (http://peertech.org/privacy-knoppix/) and includes tor, privoxy and squid.

Bruce_Marsh
07-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Here's one place that sells them:

http://cardiscs.com/dvdbuscar.html - 25 DVD-R business cards for $100 325MB

I just found this place, and haven't ordered from them. If anyone does, please post a reply to let the rest of us know if they are any good.
:?:

-Bruce M.

jimdhaem
07-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Check out Ebay , search for "mini dvd" you can find min dvds for about $1.00 each (including shipping) in small quantities

http://search.ebay.com/mini-dvd_Computers-Networking_W0QQcatrefZC2QQfmcZ1QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1Q QfsopZ1QQsacatZ58058QQsojsZ1