PDA

View Full Version : Some help booting knoppix 3.3 from a SCSI cdrom please.

phlox
04-02-2004, 11:04 AM
My system won't boot knoppix 3.3

I have a plextor 40X cdrom and a dawi control DC-2974 PCI SCSI interface. I tried to boot with 2 settings from the bios of my mainboard:

1. SCSI
2. CDROM

both didn't work. I also tried to enable / disable the SCSI bios on the SCSI controller. But it's still not booting.

I also tried to boot from floppy but that was also a no go.

My system starts like there wasn't a cdrom present in the drive.

Any ideas ??

OErjan
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
can you read the content of the cd?
if it is a single file called knoppix.iso or something like it you need to rewrite the cd in the proper way.
if you see the KNOPPIX directory and several other files ou might have a damaged CD os faulty CDimage.
did you check the md5sum?

phlox
04-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that the cd is ok. Tried it at work. There it booted fine.

phlox
04-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi

Just tested with a Windows cd-rom. With the windows bootable cdrom it didn't boot also :(

So I changed the cd-rom for another plextor and also changed the SCSI interface ( also a dawi )

But still not booting.

So maybe its the bios of my mainboard. Its an Aopen ax6bc.
I flashed it to bios version 259 because I bought a big harddisk.
Anybody has some experiance with this Mainboard and booting knoppix ???

RandomGoon
04-05-2004, 07:28 AM
I'm a noob to Linux, but I'm trying, fair warning up front.

Have you tried to make/use a boot floppy? I think your problem stems from the fact your using a SCSI drive, there's no drivers loaded at boot (BIOS doesn't count in this case, I believe). The boot floppy should enable your card and thereby your CD-ROM.

'Goon

RandomGoon
04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Just ran across this link: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9483 Maybe there's something there that might help out too.

'Goon