PDA

View Full Version : HD Install - Root Password?

jvila
02-25-2003, 08:15 AM
I just finished a HD Install and even though the installation script asked me for my root password, that password only works when I log-in as knoppix. If I try to log-in as root, or try a "su root" in order to modify the config files, and enter that password, the system rejects it.
Is there a default password for root? How else can I get root privilege?
Thanks

robelanator
02-25-2003, 08:37 AM
I just finished a HD Install and even though the installation script asked me for my root password, that password only works when I log-in as knoppix. If I try to log-in as root, or try a "su root" in order to modify the config files, and enter that password, the system rejects it.
Is there a default password for root? How else can I get root privilege?
Thanks

Something got screwed up during your install. To reset to root password: boot from a Knoppix Live CD, open the file /etc/shadow on your hard drive (not the RAMDrive that Knoppix creates!), and the first line should look something like this:

root:$1$b3F32gEp$IYclSUEICZUlfQiDgHC1C0:12092:0:99 999:7:::

Everything between the first ":" and second ":" is your encrypted root password - delete it. Then save the file and reboot your system from the hard drive.

You should be able to login as root without a password now BUT MAKE SURE YOU SET ONE AFTER YOU LOGIN!!! After logging in, open up a Konsole shell and type:

passwd

Oh, BTW, I believe Knoppix will mount your HDD as read-only by default so you'll probably have to unmount the drive (right click on it in KDE, then click "Unmount") then change the permissions (right click on the drive in KDE, then click "Properties" then go to the "Permissions" tab) then remount the drive.

Hope that made sense!