PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix (Y won't u n-stall?)

XenXion
04-02-2004, 06:36 PM
okay I have been messing around with knoppix for a while now and I have a problem with instailling things. I click on the file and click instaill, it asks me for the root password I type that in and then it bring up some crazy

about dpkg -i '//home/knoppix/ymessenger_0.99.17-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
RESULT=2

what does this mean? :evil:

Markus
04-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Are you talking about a debian style hd install?
If you're running from the CD you'll get the read-only because it can't write to a CD.

Cuddles
04-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Good point Markus :!:

I am also curious to why a "program" would be trying to install into someones "/home" directory? Programs usually install into the /etc or the /usr/sbin area, don't they :?:

The whole install path, sounds like a Live CD, maybe XenXion is trying to install a "package" into the /home/knoppix folder as a way to "install programs with the CD boot" docs, kind of thing [?]

Never tried installing "packages", when I was running the Live CD, but, I have "heard" you CAN do it...

XenXion,
If you have installed knoppix to your hard drive, this could be an issue of "permissions" not being set properly, during the installation, or that the hard drive you installed Knoppix on, not having set "write" permissions properly.

If you DID install Knoppix on your hard drive, and you AREN'T running Knoppix from the CD... -=- Please provide more information on your issue: What version of Knoppix, What size is your hard drive, How much free space is left on the hard drive, and what form of "installation" were you using to install "YMessenger" with ???

Just trying to help,
Cuddles

XenXion
04-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Yes I am running it from the cd and I have a 40gigHD that it is using I don't have a problem saving things thou I can save things and still get to it in windows Xp home I don't know if that has anything to do with it. and thanx for helpin'

Markus
04-03-2004, 05:53 PM
If you have a persistant home you could use this script by Kano:
http://kanotix.com/files/install-ymessenger-local.sh
Haven't used any of these live-cd-install scripts myself but I've used a couple of other ones by him and they worked like a charm.
BTW, what is ymessenger, could GAIM which is installed do what you want?

Durand Hicks
04-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Gaim 0.75 is currently unable to connect with yahoo. I've seen somewhere on the net that gaim 0.71 is able to connect with yahoo, however, I haven't tried it myself.

XenXion
04-04-2004, 07:43 AM
the thing that it can't do is voice chat. I would find another program that does it but all my frinds use windows and yahoo and another reason is that my computer won't allow yahoo to be instailed.which I don't know why but I will try the codes and if anyone has gotten Bittorrent to work plz send me a link.