PDA

View Full Version : booting from knoppix iso file?

ykhov
04-02-2004, 08:14 PM
knoppix is a cd-rom bootdisk... I have a laptop (toshiba portege 3440) without cd-rom. So there is no way to boot it with knoppix.

I want to do a hard drive install of knoppix.

currently, the laptop has winxp and I have the knoppix iso stored at c:\.

Is there a floppy boot disk I can use that can read fat32 partician then mount the knoppix iso so I can start knoppix and do a hd installation?

The solution may be useful for someone who doesn't want to watse a cd to burn knoppix iso.

zentu
04-02-2004, 11:10 PM
The iso can be run from the harddrive, but I can't remeber how. you can also write it to a flash medium (provided it has enough space) and boot from that in most desktops (need to choose *boot from usb* or the *support legacy device over usb* option, and not 100%), but I haven't found a Notebook to check this option out on, or had a large enough Flash media.

windos_no_thanks
04-03-2004, 04:17 AM
The iso can be run from the harddrive, but I can't remeber how. you can also write it to a flash medium (provided it has enough space) and boot from that in most desktops (need to choose *boot from usb* or the *support legacy device over usb* option, and not 100%), but I haven't found a Notebook to check this option out on, or had a large enough Flash media.
No, the contents of the iso file can be used like that but I don't think it works with the iso itself. In linux boxes you can mount the iso using loopback and copy what you need but I don't know how you'd go about to do the same thing in windos.

ykhov
04-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I was able to solve my problem. Here is where I got the info:
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4825

It is call a poor's man install.