PDA

View Full Version : no line drawing in KSpread?

John Johnson
04-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Am new to Linux and just installed Knoppix 3.3 with no problems but the most important program I use is the spread sheet and I cannot find a line drawing option similar to Excel. Can anyone advise. Thanks in advance.
John

Cuddles
04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
John,

I have used Excel, both versions 97, and 2000, and now, with Knoppix, KSpread - I have not found any "noticeable" differances between them, from the extent of my usage, and knowledge, of Excel.

Line drawing? Never knew of it, I always used the Format -> Cell Format -> Borders - it allows changing line widths, colors, and line types (dotted, or simple)... It even has, under Format -> Cell Format -> Background - which allows you to change the background color, or shading, of cells...

Now, if you are talking about Word, used both 97 and 2000, of that in the MS Windows World, as well, which Knoppix has KWord, it allows "Drawing Lines", and making "Tables"...

I have not tried "all" of the programs that come with "MS Office Suite", versions 97 or 2000, but the ones I have been "intimate" with, it appears that "Knoppix's Office" programs, are close to "exact" with the MS Office Suite ones.

If this doesn't resolve your question, please explain "how you make 'lines' in Excel", and I will try and follow along -=- I have a old system still running Win98, and it has Office Suite 2000 on it, and I can duplicate your issue on it, and then work on my "Main System" that has Knoppix on it, for a resolve :D

Hope this helps, John,
Cuddles

John Johnson
04-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Hi Cuddles
In Excel 2000 there is a drawing tool bar (go to view-toolbars-then check the drawing box). The line drawing tool is the small line on an angle next to the auto shapes. This can be used to draw lines on any angle and can be edited for line thickness etc. This does not appear to be available in Kspread.
Thanks for your reply
John

Cuddles
04-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Hey John,

Your right :!:

I opened up Excel 2000 and found your line drawing tool - funny, never knew it was there, nor have I ever used it - I always tended to use the "border" tool for cells...

AND - your right, I can't seem to find the "same" tool in KSpread - don't know if they knew about the "tool" and just didn't include it, or if, like me, never realized it was there in the first place...

Hmmmmm, considering that "open office" is maintained by another, you might want to hit up "thier" site, and see if either a newer version exists with the tool, or if they know of the tool missing... They might like to be notified that "something" may have been overlooked from an "Open Source" version of the Microsoft product...

Sorry I couldn't help out here, I so wanted to find the answer on this one...
Cuddles

John Johnson
04-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks anyway Cuddles. Will do as you suggest. Thanks again :D
John