PDA

View Full Version : problem with copying files

jc01
04-04-2004, 12:50 AM
my windows XP Pro machine crashed the other day when i was deleting some spyware. somehow it messed up the MBR and the boot partition, i now have that fixed so the i can get grub and RedHat but when i go into windows it says it is missing a hal.dill file so now i have to use my XP disk to restore the file but in doing so there is a risk of deleting all of my data. . . . so what i want to do is backup all of my data to my other HDD the one that is dedicated to linux just incase something goes wrong.

The problem is that when i go to copy anything from hda1 which is my NTFS drive i get this error

__________________________________________________ ___________

You do not have enough permissions to read file:/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop
(^ ^ or whatever file i am trying to copy ^ ^)

How do i get around this on the icon it has a little lock in the left hand corner . . . what do i do

i have already tried to change the permissions on that particular file but it gives me another error saying

"Could not change permissions for /mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Josh/Desktop"

Thanks,
jc01

PS: i HATE windows and an trying to get away from it

fingers99
04-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Either do the copying as root or mount the drive from a mountpoint in your /home directory with a line in /etc/fstab which includes users.

Be a bit careful if you have to copy a file back. It's wise to do that via a fat32 partition (copy to vfat in Linux, copy from vfat into ntfs). Writing directly to ntfs from Linux is likely to trash your ntfs file system.

jc01
04-04-2004, 08:08 PM
ok

i am trying that but this is what i get

knoppix@ttyp0[Documents and Settings]$ su

root@ttyp0[Documents and Settings]# cd '/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings'

root@ttyp0[Documents and Settings]# ls
Administrator All Users Default User jc01 LocalService NetworkService

ot@ttyp0[Documents and Settings]# cd '/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/jc01'

root@ttyp0[jc01]# ls
ls: NTUSER.DAT: No such file or directory
Application Data Local Settings Recent UserData ntuser.ini
Cookies My Documents SendTo WINDOWS
Desktop NetHood Start Menu index.html
Favorites PrintHood Templates ntuser.dat.LOG

root@ttyp0[jc01]# cd '/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/jc01/My Documents'
bash: cd: /mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/jc01/My Documents: No such file or directory

the file is there it even says it is there but why does it say "No such file or directory"? and why cant i get to it?
when i tried to navigate to Documents and Settings by typing "Documents and Settings" it gave me the same error saying "No such file or directory" so then i dragged and droped the file into the window and selected "cd" then it worked so why does it not work when i type it?

is there some way to root myself and move these files the GUI way? that would be much more convient.

thanks,
jc01

Markus
04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Linux doesn't usually like spaces in file or directory names, so you should type a backslash \ before a space, or type a couple of chars like "My" and press tab. If there's more than one file or directory beginning with "My" press tab again to see them all and give the extra unique characters needed and press tab again.
You can run konqueror as root by first typing "su" in a shell and then "konqueror".