PDA

View Full Version : wi-fi card SMP question

Yeti
04-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a dell Truemobile card and a older Presario 1200 laptop. I booted Knoppix and the card was discovered and could ping the gatway and resolve DNS, but I could not ping google or actually surf the web.

Used another computer, surfed these forums, rebooted with a cheatcode of
knoppix nosmp.

Worked great, I am using the card now no problems. But, what is SMP and why did booting wit nosmp work?

Thanx

aay
04-05-2004, 02:52 AM
That's very strage that nosmp would affect your network. SMP stands for symetric multi processor. You would use smp if you have more than one processor. Maybe the use of nosmp was just a coincidence? Will the card deffinitely not work without the nosmp cheat code? BTW, is this card used with some kind of mobile internet service or is it just a generic wireless card? If it's for a mobile service what is it? I would like to know more. Thanks.

Yeti
04-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Well, I read your reply and rebooted with out the "nosmp" cheat code and its working perfectly. God only knows why it didn't work the very first time i tried. It was real weird too, because like I said I could ping the gateway and it was resolving DNS, but no packet were making it to the 'net.

FYI its a k62-500 Presario laptop with a Dell Truemobile 1150 (Oronico) Wi-fi card connecting to a Nomadax Gateway that is wide open.

I just re-read the thread I was using as a reference (no SMP). Apparently I read the thread wrong and misinteperated what it was saying. O well, what the hell, it works now and I am somewhat smarter because I know what SMP is.

BTW..

When it comes up the card is detected as eth0 and when I try to run Airsnort it want wlan0. Is there an easy way to fix this?

/me scraping egg off my face