PDA

View Full Version : K-menu reconfigure

rusty
04-04-2004, 09:00 PM
After re-installing kde and kcore I'm finding dublicates of some programs and non existent programs on the k-menu. It also seems not to pick up programs that are installed or have been downloaded.

Other than manually editing using the menu editor, is there some way to get this confugured better.

The menu updating tool isn't finding things either. For example Linneighborhood, which was on the menu before, isn't. But it is on the system

TIA

Markus
04-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Try using the "update-menus" command, and I seriously hope you have better luck with it than I'm having as you can see a couple of posts down.
Some of the programs you're missing could though have been thrown into the Deban folder at the top of the folderlist in K-menu.

rusty
04-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Gave it a try:

root@toybox:~# update-menus
Unknown error, message=replacewith($string, $replace, $with): $replace and $with must have the same length.
install-menu: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs: aborting
update-menus[3106]: Script /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs returned error status 1.
Unknown error, message=replacewith($string, $replace, $with): $replace and $with must have the same length.
install-menu: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps: aborting
update-menus[3106]: Script /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps returned error status 1.
root@toybox:~#

This all happened after trying to install gnome, which I have - but had to do alot of updating, upgrading and changing desktop managers to get kde back where I could use it.

Markus
04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm not at home at the moment so I can't recall the exact files, but if you open up those two for editing you'll find ca. 2/3 down something like [replacewith: "/ ", "-"]. I deleted the space after the slash to make it: "/" and the errors went away. If someone has a better solution please let me also know.

Markus
04-05-2004, 03:10 PM
I coloured and bolded the part where I deleted the extra space, the -apps file is very similar to this one:
markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs
#!/usr/sbin/install-menu
# freedesktop desktop entry spec - directory generation
# http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec
# Copyright 2004 - Chris Cheney
# Licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2.

!include menu.h

compat="menu-2"

function DirEntry() =

"[Desktop Entry]\n"
"Type=Directory\n"
"Encoding=UTF-8\n"
"Name=" title() "\n"
"GenericName=" title() "\n"
"Comment=" ifnempty($longtitle,$longtitle) "\n"
"Icon=" "debian" replacewith(tolower($section),"/","-") "\n";

outputencoding="UTF-8";

supported;
x11 = ;
text = ;
endsupported;

startmenu = "";
endmenu = "";
submenutitle = DirEntry();

treewalk = "M";

genmenu = ifempty($command,tolower("debian" replacewith($section,"/","-") ".directory"));

rootsection = "";

prerun = "rm -rf " prefix() "/*";

preoutput = "";

rootprefix = "/var/lib/kde/debian-dirs";

userprefix = ".local/share/desktop-directories/kde/debian";

Markus
04-11-2004, 04:53 PM
My bad, the package has been patched/upgraded and the line now reads:
genmenu = ifempty($command,tolower("debian" replacewith($section,"/ ","--") ".directory"));