PDA

View Full Version : Run failure - multiple - newby level

himagain
04-05-2004, 02:40 AM
Hi there,
3 people downloaded knoppix iso and we all tried to dup and run it on different systems.
All failed.
In my case, as in 1 other, the knoppix splash came up and offered a bizarre note about german keyboards = sign???
I simply hit enter and .... zilch. No errors no nuzzink!

I don't think we would all have dud disks - and only one was a portable(!)
However, I cannot read the .txt or .bat files on the burned CD.
AND Knoppix is in a sub-dir on the disk ????

Couple of points re ease of use:
1. I was forced to use an 800 meg disk. The distro is over 700 - not good - better to leave a few more geek things off and have a standard size.
2. The odd opening note
3. It does offer an F2 option - useful only at Geeklevel2 and above.
Would be nice to have a REAL newby start info as the whole distro idea is aimed at converting Dozers ..... maybe even to saying "Press Enter for standard install" ........ and have one!

Cheers!

RandomGoon
04-05-2004, 04:40 AM
I just recently burned the .iso for 3.3 myself and didn't have to use an 800MB disk...the distro worked fine for me on a 700MB CD-R, no worries! Also, did you get the German version of the distro? I have had no language problems (granted, I took some German in high school); it's defaulted on mine to English. Did you check the check-sum with the .md5 files after downloading the .iso?

/edit Forgot, I intended to agree with you about the boot message or lack thereof. /edit off

'Goon

himagain
04-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi 'Goon

I just recently burned the .iso for 3.3 myself and didn't have to use an 800MB disk...the distro worked fine for me on a 700MB CD-R, no worries!
####### Well, in Oz the cheapies are still 650MB :-)
But it was an 800 I used.

Also, did you get the German version of the distro?
##### English I think....

check the check-sum with the .md5 files after downloading the .iso?
###### That only works IN Linux doesn't it?
But it was a BitTorrent file I think..... am doing it again - and will try another burn in the meanwhile.

Cheers!

RandomGoon
04-05-2004, 07:04 AM
And a hearty g'day back to ya, mate! :D

There's an .md5 file checker located here: http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml and it runs under Windows just fine. If you got the BitTorrent from knopper.net the ones that end in EN should be the english versions. He's got postings for 6 different versions, half in his native German, half in English. I pulled down KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN if you're curious.

'Goon

himagain
04-05-2004, 10:12 AM
There's an .md5 file checker located here: http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml and it runs under Windows just fine.
--------------------------------
Thanks! We live and learn....... don't we?

Just got advised my new LCD Mon is on the way..... Samsung 172X
Got rave reviews all over the place downunder - so a shortage developed!!

Might get a chance to try an install or 2 with my Sony CRT E100 VG unit and it, too!

Have just finished putting together a page or 2 plus a forum for non-geek business users wanting to try the switch and :oops: can't get the easiest rated one of all to go!
Have a look tomorrow at : http://fablor.com/linux/

It's dinnertime here: 7pm and it's been a looong day, so

Cheers!
Himagain

RandomGoon
04-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I hope I've helped, let us know how it turns out, eh? What can I say, I'm curious.

'Goon

himagain
04-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi 'Goon and people,

Well, odds are funny things: after d/l the md5 Doze checker, 2 of the three iso's were duds. Should have known! The third was an old portable so ........
Making sure the next burns were on 800 disks and one 700 and one 650 for test:
1. The 2 800's worked and the 700 - 650 died (expectedly).
2. Most comments will be on the new "absolutely newbies" site in 10 hours.
However:
VERY slow loading was the case on my Athlon 2600+ with a gig of memory.
(Altho it is amazing to do it at all from a CD!) A Lite-On CDRW 48x24x48.

Amazingly, it fell over on comms!
I run an internal Speedstream ADSL ( almost a generic - is under many names) and knoppix found nothing. More on the Newby Site about THAT.

None of us were able to get a useful working system out of it without a bit of work/help.

http://www.fablor.com/linux/ for more please have a look and offer suggestions. Should be up there by + a few hours of now

It *IS* amazing how far distros have come in the last year!

Cheers!