PDA

View Full Version : CD ignored and floppy boot

squash_racket
12-12-2002, 04:30 AM
I downloaded the iso dated 10-12-02 and verified the md5 checksum on the file prior to burning to CD. I have set bios to boot from CD but the CD it is ignored and proceeds to next boot device HD/floppy.
I then created a boot floppy, booted and selected "expert" and see a message as Knoppix tries to locate the CDROM device but fails to locate and then I dropped back to "very limited shell"....
Please advise what I should do from the limited shell.
Any other suggestions? Download the latest iso and try again?

I tried the mount command but this caused a kernel panic. Please let me know if I can assist the Knoppix team by providing any error messages (I know that may be difficult at this stage of my install...)

System is AthlonXP1800 256MB DDR on ASUS A7V333.
Nvidia Geforce4 MMX (Leadtek A170TH)

Dave_Bechtel
12-12-2002, 06:49 AM
--The "very limited shell" is bloody USELESS and IMHO should just be deleted.

--If you mount your burned CD under Windows, do you see only 1 file on it (the ISO?) If so, you pulled a Dave_Bechtel and forgot to burn the CD using the ISO as a **filesystem image.** :oops: "Thank you, try again..."

I downloaded the iso dated 10-12-02 and verified the md5 checksum on the file prior to burning to CD. I have set bios to boot from CD but the CD it is ignored and proceeds to next boot device HD/floppy.
I then created a boot floppy, booted and selected "expert" and see a message as Knoppix tries to locate the CDROM device but fails to locate and then I dropped back to "very limited shell"....
Please advise what I should do from the limited shell.
Any other suggestions? Download the latest iso and try again?

I tried the mount command but this caused a kernel panic. Please let me know if I can assist the Knoppix team by providing any error messages (I know that may be difficult at this stage of my install...)

System is AthlonXP1800 256MB DDR on ASUS A7V333.
Nvidia Geforce4 MMX (Leadtek A170TH)

squash_racket
12-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Dave,
Thankyou for the tip! It works beautifully now. I haven't had to specify the burn image requirement on freebsd cd's I have burned previously.