PDA

View Full Version : problems with tulip

KawaiiDragon
04-05-2004, 07:33 AM
I cant seem to find a copy of tulip that will load. they all say that they are for a diffrent version of the kernal. I seem to be running 2.4.22-xfs. I have found one for 2.4.22 but it wont work. PLEASE HELP ME, I have been working on this for over 10 HOURS STRATE!

P.S. Im kinda a noob to linux

Stephen
04-05-2004, 05:50 PM
I cant seem to find a copy of tulip that will load. they all say that they are for a diffrent version of the kernal. I seem to be running 2.4.22-xfs. I have found one for 2.4.22 but it wont work. PLEASE HELP ME, I have been working on this for over 10 HOURS STRATE!

P.S. Im kinda a noob to linux

There is no need to be "finding" a tulip driver for the kernel it is already included it should be as simple as using modprobe tulip as root to load the module and have it available for use. What kind of network card do you have??

KawaiiDragon
04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
It didn't seem to come with it. but I will try that command and get back to you.

Oh and Im useing a Linksys LNE100TX

__________________________________________________ ___

ok so I tryed that and it says that there isn't a copy of Tulip.o in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/tulip

Stephen
04-05-2004, 08:52 PM
It didn't seem to come with it. but I will try that command and get back to you.

Oh and Im useing a Linksys LNE100TX

__________________________________________________ ___

ok so I tryed that and it says that there isn't a copy of Tulip.o in /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/net/tulip

That is weird most of the cards I have are tulip and they always work and the module should be included in knoppix what does the output this command grep TULIP /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs in a console window (the shell on a monitor in the taskbar) show you it should look similar to this from my machine.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# grep TULIP /boot/config-2.4.24.040105
CONFIG_TULIP=m
# CONFIG_TULIP_MWI is not set
# CONFIG_TULIP_MMIO is not set

And you did use lower case letters right not modprobe Tulip but modprobe tulip?

You may want to use lspci -v in the console window to see if the card is getting an irq, what it looks like here.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# lspci -v
[snip ..]

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)

Subsystem: Unex Technology Corp.: Unknown device d020
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at dffefc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Expansion ROM at dffa0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

The relevant output of what it looks like when you use lsmod in the console window if the card is in use.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# lsmod
Module Size Used by
[snip ..]

tulip 38368 0
crc32 4096 1 tulip

KawaiiDragon
04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
god Im stupid :oops: , I forgot that Im useing the built-in ethernet on my mobo... acording to the lspci -v comand its a "nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet controller"

any ideas for that? :lol:

Stephen
04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
god Im stupid :oops: , I forgot that Im useing the built-in ethernet on my mobo... acording to the lspci -v comand its a "nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet controller"

any ideas for that? :lol:

You will need to either go to nvidia's site and get the proper driver then compile it or you can get re-masters of knoppix and I think the latest version of knoppix as well has the forcedeth ( I believe that is what it is called spelling may be wrong though) open source driver for the card that can be used. Alternatively you could unplug the cable from the onboard and put it in the linksys and knoppix would find and use the card or is there just the one card in the machine and you made a mistake with the make/model if this is the case you could buy a $10 cheapie netcard most of them I have gotten are tulip based and detected immediately.

KawaiiDragon
04-05-2004, 11:24 PM
thanks for your help. I now am posting from me unix computer ^_^. thanks again :wink: