PDA

View Full Version : knoppix as router / dial on demand

fgeller
04-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi there :)

I've set up a knoppix box as a router for the rest of my lan and there's only one simple thing I am missing: dial on demand. I haven't found a post about this issue, perhaps I my search terms were incorrect - please help me out with a link if so. :)

Connecting and surfing all works fine, as I am posting this over my knoppix box, but the dialing only works for the first time, afterwards I have to do it manually. I configured my ISDN Card using the offered "Red Hat ISDN config" and selected to dial automaticly but it doesn't. I guess the mistake is somewhere in the routing table as I first setup
"route add default ippp0"
but after connecting it changes to the IP my ISP provides me with (which seems ok to me) but it doesn't change back. Is this the fault in my configuration, and if so how can I correct it?
Or is it somewhere else?

Any hints appreciated :)

Thank you very much for taking your time!

felix

cintra
04-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Hei

Have you tried using isdnctrl to check your isdn status/setup?

I have spent a lot of time looking for isdn answers at various times, and seem to remember that isdnctrl was a useful tool for setting up isdn manually, and in connection with kppp.

I'm running on Suse at present & don't have access to 'isdn-config', but I'll check out DOD when I login to Debian/knoppix later. Bundling works a charm with it, if ever you need that.

btw the isdn-config docs don't recommend use of DOD without keeping a very close eye on your logs, if you are in a network. Things like netbios can trigger calls apparently.

regards

cintra
04-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, now logged in on Knoppix.

DOD works fine for me when I set 'auto' in isdn-config, start kmail, for example, and/or Opera 7.50-P3 with auto check of mail on startup, and bingo isdn connection is made.

However, neither logging off kmail drops the connection, nor does exiting Opera!

Had to use isdnctrl hangup ipp0 - that stopped it, but then its hardly Auto is it...

regards