PDA

View Full Version : Video Problem - Knoppix v3.3 with GFFX5950 and 1760NX LCD

Treppiede
04-06-2004, 04:42 AM
Hey Guys,
I've been running Knoppix v3.3 at work flawlessly, however at home the OS outputs bad screen image when the GUI loads. What is happening is like when on a regular computer you set a resolution that your monitor can't take and all you see is an unstable shade of the GUI and can barely see the mouse pointer moving, with the only difference that this happens as soon as the GUI loads.

I am not a Pro, however after searching a bit and reading the advanced startup codes, I tried booting specifying:
1- knoppix screen=800x600 (just in case)
2- knoppix toram

...with no luck.

Here are some of the relevant specs from my machine:
Intel 875PBZ Mobo
Intel P4 2.8 HT
1Giga Corsair XMS DDR RAM (can you say "toram"? :twisted:)
nVidia GeForce FX5950
NEC 1760NX LCD Monitor
Two Hitachi/IBM 80Gb SATA on RAID-0

What I was thinking is that there could be some sort of Driver incompatibility, perhaps I could trow a new driver on a floppy and use a command similar to F6 when you install Windows 2000 that specifies alternate driver usage at boot up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work.

Walter

Stephen
04-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Try knoppix toram xmodule=nv vsync=?? hsync=?? screen=800x600 replace the ?? with the proper values for the horizontal and vertical refresh rate for the panel.

Treppiede
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Try knoppix toram xmodule=nv vsync=?? hsync=?? screen=800x600 replace the ?? with the proper values for the horizontal and vertical refresh rate for the panel.
Thanks for the advice Stephen, I'll try it tonight when I get home from work and let you know.

Walter

Treppiede
04-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Stephen, it worked great. Now I am rebooting several times gradually increasing resolution and refresh rates as an attempt to squeeze as much video quality as possible.

Many thanks for the tip.

Walter

Stephen
04-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Stephen, it worked great. Now I am rebooting several times gradually increasing resolution and refresh rates as an attempt to squeeze as much video quality as possible.

Many thanks for the tip.

Walter

Good to hear when you get it where you want then you can go into the Knoppix menu and use the save configuration to floppy item and then when you boot you can use knoppix floppyconfig to use the same configuration every time.

Treppiede
04-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Good to hear when you get it where you want then you can go into the Knoppix menu and use the save configuration to floppy item and then when you boot you can use knoppix floppyconfig to use the same configuration every time.
Great tip Stephen, that will surely save me some time during boot. I am reading into it right now.

Regards,

Walter