PDA

View Full Version : script

punk000
02-25-2003, 09:39 PM
what extention do i have to use in order to have a text file run as a bourne shell sript???

robelanator
02-25-2003, 09:57 PM
what extention do i have to use in order to have a text file run as a bourne shell sript???

You can start a bourne shell by clicking the K-Menu and choosing the "Run" option. Then type in sh and hit enter.

I BELIEVE you can automatically have a specific script run within a bourne shell by calling it in a similar manner. K-Menu then "Run" then sh NameOfScript

David Douthitt
02-25-2003, 11:37 PM

In UNIX, extensions are useless - in fact, there is no such thing as an extension the way there is in DOS: there is only "accepted endings." Periods are just periods...

A Bourne Shell script normally doesn't have any special ending at all. To make a text file executable:

1. Change permissions to executable:

chmod +x myfile

2. Even better: also add this line to the top:

#!/bin/sh

...having done those two things, then this file can be executed by the shell (/bin/sh) as a script.

If you want to be able to execute the script no matter where you are, then put the script in a directory located in your PATH environment veriable...

punk000
02-26-2003, 07:02 PM
thank you