PDA

View Full Version : Problems booting on a PcChips mainboard

Axiomatico
04-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Well I´m more than a newy in this kind of OS but I want to learn in orther to get free from Mr Bill monster (also call windows). Well here´s the problem I have a PcChips motherboard and i can´t boot Knoppix linux. The processor is a PIII 450Mhz, so you can see it is quite an old computer. I´ve tried putting this when te program starts:
knoppix lang=us screen=1024x768 dma desktop=kde

And the only thing I can see its a penguin in a black screen. :cry:

Thanks

Pablo

Treppiede
04-08-2004, 01:47 AM
I have a PcChips motherboard
What kind of Chipset does it have?
If you are unsure, post the model #.

Let us know,

Walter

stukennedyuk
04-09-2004, 08:55 AM
I bet this is a PC-Chips motherboard with shared video ram. The graphics uses some of the system ram and this will confuse Knoppix. If you have 128MB use 'mem=120M' for example as well as using the 'screen= and see how you get on. (typically the maximum amount of shared memory is 2/4 or 8MB)

Good luck. Stu.....

Gnu Penguin
04-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I have a PC Chips motherboard that is even older than yours. It is a socket 7, and has a 233 MMX installed.

What worked for me was to make sure that "Assign IRQ for VGA" is DISABLED under "BIOS Features Setup" in the BIOS.

It worked for me with only 64 Meg of EDO Ram installed.

Regards,

Axiomatico
06-11-2004, 12:47 PM
:lol: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!! :lol: Forgive me about the time I´ve let pass without reply, but the sistem failures in notifying me. I will try all your items, YOU´RE THE BEST.

ORION :wink: