PDA

View Full Version : multiuser login, in knoppix mode installation

larrycow
04-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Hello,
I would like to know if one can configure knopix after installation on hdd in knoppix mode, with multiuser login. I didn't perform it... Thus, is it only possible ?
Thanks.

m_yates
04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Maybe I did not understand the question, but you can use kdm to login multiple users. I thought kdm was installed by default with knoppix. If it is not installed, just:

apt-get install kdm

If you have multiple desktop managers installed (gdm, xdm), it will ask you which one to load by default. Select kdm. If it is already installed, you can change which one is selected by default using:

dpkg-reconfigure kdm

If your machine is booting directly into a user account without prompting, you can change that behavior using the KDE control center. Kdm is called "Login Manager" in the control center. Just disable the auto login feature. You can use "kuser" to add user accounts. Those users will be able to login at the KDM screen.

larrycow
04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your answer.
In fact i did try this possibility but it seems there is nothing to do : there is an auto-login (knoppix) and even with the configuration with the central configuration, i can't disable it . It is just like if the installation was EXACTLY like cd life ! If you want to logout the shutdown runs !
Anyway, thie knoppix3.4 is unstable and tesitng one ! So.....

I 'll try with an other version, may be i will be lucky !:-)

Thanks for your help, and ... sorry for my english : this is not my first language ...

Have a nice day.

Stephen
04-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Hello,
I would like to know if one can configure knopix after installation on hdd in knoppix mode, with multiuser login. I didn't perform it... Thus, is it only possible ?
Thanks.

You have to use the Debian method if you want to add software or users.

larrycow
04-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks stephen : this i found, since i wrote the message. But when i made an debian mode installation, i have an other problem !!! And this is the reason why i tried to perform a multiuser login with knoppix mode installation !
My problem is : with a debian mode installation i CAN'T install the nVidia LAN driver for the network integrated card ( i have a DFI NF II ULTRA AL 400 motherboard). With the knoppix mode installation i perform driver lan installation ! This driver installation is a bit special :-) : i download the driver.src.rpm from the nvidia site. I compil it, following the manual's instructions. Then i convert the .rpm in a .deb (with alien command). Then i install it with dpkg -i... !!! It 's not very nice, but it works VERY well !... ONLY with knoppix mode installation ....

Thus i am really disappointed ! :-(

m_yates
04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I have an nforce2 motherboard and I am able to install the network driver with the "Debian" install of Knoppix. You just need to download the drivers in *.tar.gz format. Then go to the directory that you downloaded them and:

tar -xzvf NVIDIA*.tar.gz
cd nforce
make
make install
modprobe nvnet
netcardconfig

Then edit the file /etc/modules using your favorite text editor to include the line "nvnet". The "nvaudio" driver doesn't need to be used for sound because the i810_audio driver works and should be installed automatically by Knoppix (you should see a line with "i810_audio" in /etc/modules). The latest version of Knoppix (2-16-04) also includes the forcedeth driver that will work with the nforce2 ethernet, so you don't need to install anything from Nvidia. If you compile your own kernel, you will have to apply a patch if you want to use the "forcedeth" driver because it isn't included in the latest kernel (2.4.25), but will be included by default in the next kernel (2.4.26). You can just apply the 2.4.26 prepatch to the 2.4.25 kernel if you want to use the open source nvidia ethernet driver with a custom kernel.

larrycow
04-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi, m_yates !
I gona try !
just in the time i thought i drop it :-)

larrycow
04-13-2004, 08:10 AM
NICE SHOOT GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !
I just did it, and it perfectly WORKS !
modprobe nvnet reply with some warning, but that 's rigut. I am on a network with domain, so i use dhcp.
Thank you very mutch ! I enjoy and ... beam :-)

bye

m_yates
04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Glad it worked. The warning you see is about "tainted" modules I think. It is nothing to worry about. The module is "tainted" because it is not open source.

larrycow
04-13-2004, 07:09 PM
OK. Bye and....
merci (in french of course !)