PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Adapter not working or Network not working...

phoenix07
04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Ethernet Adapter not working/detecting, need to setup network, also not working...

Hey i have recently and successfully installed KNOPPIX v3.3 to my HDD, just like to say works great ~ - ~!

i have 2 ethernet cards i just installed and i dont know how to install the drivers or get it to work... i click on the "Network Card Config" and it asks me a few questions ie. "would you liek to DHCP to other comptuers" or something like that, anyways , waht i am trying to achieve is ,

I have my Linux machine with KNOPPIX v3.3 installed on the harddrive , what i want is to make the Linux machine my server machine for the internet, but i am having trouble installing/getting the network to run.

Specs :

Linux

350 mhz P2 with MMX
96 mb ram
ETHERNET CARD SPEC:

Name : Zonet 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter

Standards :
IEEE802.3 10Base-T
IEEE802.3 100Base-TX
PCI Local Bus Specification
Rev 2.0, 2.1

Interface : 10Base-T 100Base-TX ( RJ45 Connector )

Linux drivers : Slackware, Red Hat and others

Windows Machine #1:

Windows 2000
P3 866 mhz with MMX support
384 mb ram
20gb hdd
Acton 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast ethernet adapter

Windows Machine #2:

Windows 98 SE
P3 466 mhz with MMX support
194 mb ram
20gb hdd
Realtek (something) Ethernet Adapter... etc etc.

____________________________/

Just in case , update as i was typing this up my dad noticed that the two cards communicate, i dont know what that means, but , if ANYONE , i repeat ANYONE can help me in setting up the network for these comptuers add me to my msn or reply to this forum , i want to set-up my linux machine to become a server so i can share the internet with other users...:

msn : phoenix_0357@hotmail.com

i can reward you with graphics ... lol i knw it sounds cheap but hey , if you need any type of graphic in return for helping me set up my network i will infinitely thank you + reward you with a profesional graphic >>

http://www.phoenix07.deviantart.com

thank you ... :(

OErjan
04-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, zonet, i have one of those, if i am not way out that is a rtl8139 based card. that is, it uses that chip.
it worked right from box for me.
no need for reward.
to help me help you it would be nice if you could post output from

dmesg|grep eth
and

lsmod
then

ifconfig

phoenix07
04-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Hmmm, zonet, i have one of those, if i am not way out that is a rtl8139 based card. that is, it uses that chip.
it worked right from box for me.
no need for reward.
to help me help you it would be nice if you could post output from

dmesg|grep eth
and

lsmod
then

ifconfig

thx for the reply man , but i am not using KNOPPIX anymore!
i am going to use FEDORA as soon as it downlaods

OErjan
04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
ok, hope that works better than it did for me.