PDA

View Full Version : variety of queries

samkupar
04-09-2004, 05:07 AM
hi
i am using knoppix3.3 on amd.i have got a few queries:
a) using apt-get to install octave2.1,i got error 'result 100'.no other software gets installed.with the help of this forum,i used 'apt-get -purge octave2.1'.but still i am not able to upgrade or install any software.
b) i have logitech webcam on usb.what software do i install for using it?
c) can i go ahead and change the linuxkernel to 2.6.3.what are the steps involved?
d) my hp-psc-1210 printer does not work thru CUPS.do i have to install 'hpijs' software also.
thanks in anticipation.

Rivendell
04-11-2004, 08:46 AM
due to point b) it is possible you should compile USB support into kernel. However I don't know any software that can maintain web cameras.

If you have never compiled kernel here are the steps you should do :

-download kernel source and unpack it to /usr/src/xx , where xx is the name of folder with sources.
-make a symbolic link called "linux" stored in /usr/src/ so that it can point on directory xx
- now
cd /usr/src/linux OR /usr/src/xx and type "make menuconfig"
a configuration window will appear.

- after enabling options you want to have compiled into kernel you exit from config window, saving your configuration.

- if you have system which support .deb packages you can type.

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg -revision custom10 kernel_image

after finished compilation (about 20 minutes) :D in /usr/src/ you will find a .deb package you install it with

dpkg -i "package_name"

- after this modify /etc/lilo.conf to have

image=/boot/xx where xx is a name of kernel image you find in /boot
label=Linux

read-only

I strongly advise you to leave entrance for your old kernel image in lilo.conf to have at least one 100% working image all the time.

-after configuring lilo.conf run liloconfig this will install new image into boot record.
I think that's all