PDA

View Full Version : problems with modem

coastie
04-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I looked in the KPPP help book and have my modem for windows as COM3 i chose the corrosponding selection under the device setup. when i try to query the modem it keeps telling me that it is busy, or not responding. is there a setting under windows that i should change to be able to dial up to my isp in knoppix?

mightydavefish
04-09-2004, 08:06 PM
What kind of modem is it?

dot.hack//infection
04-10-2004, 04:35 AM
If if those winmodems (like one that I have, it's a HCF V90 56k), you need 3rd party drivers from here: http://www.linuxant.com/company/. They work wonderful, but in order to get full speed u need to buy them, still they aren't that expensive.

coastie
04-10-2004, 06:37 PM
i believe that my modem is a diamond 56k voice/fax modem.

turbinater
04-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Try this as root:
/etc/init.d/pppstatus restart then:
/etc/init.d/ppp restart

Then try kppp.

You may also want to check and see if you selected the correct device in kppp.

coastie
04-11-2004, 06:59 PM
i am not sure what the root is?
i just got knoppix about two weeks ago and this is my first time working with linux.

OErjan
04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
in a console type
sudo su that will make you root (the unix superuser, in plainspeak, the administrator).
to exit root-statuswhen su'ed hit ctrl+d (or type exit and hit enter).

the console is a way to acess a *ix shell (mostly bash in linux),
the shell is a way to give conmands to the computer.
in linux there are lots of different consoles, aterm, konsole, xtem, rxvt...
in KDE it is konsole that is easiest to open, there is a icon (on the
bar at bottom) depicting a computer-screen with a shell (yes a little
game with words) klick on that and a black window will pop up, type comands in that window.

WARNING rant below WARNING
As Root you hava absolute power, enough to actualy damage
things (if you now how even hardware).
I would avice you to be sparing with using rootly powers.
experienced linux/unix users try to do as little as possible as root.
it is advisable to doublecheck what you type as root so nothing goes seriously wrong.
as user you can not damage the working system but as root you can wipe everyting.

hope i did not scare you away from linux with this rant :?
hope to help OErjan

coastie
04-13-2004, 06:29 PM
i have the driver that i need now for linux to use my winmodem. i tried to install it, but don't have the root password for knoppix to finish the install. where can i get the password or how can i change it. i read that the password is locked. how might i go about unlocking it.

OErjan
04-13-2004, 08:32 PM
login as knoppix open a konsole and just write sudo su (then hit enter) in that console. that gives you root, to exit rootb just hit ctrl+d or type exit.

coastie
04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
ok one last question for now...i hope. i got in and did all of that. now when i try to finish the install of the driver and it tells me that it is read only. is there a setting or a cheat code that i need to use to change this?

coastie
04-16-2004, 06:45 PM
i need some help. i mounted the partition hda2 and can still not install the driver for my winmodem. i also changed the properties so that it is not read-only.

any help would be greatful

OErjan
04-16-2004, 07:42 PM
is it installed to hard drive?
if not that install is trying to instal to a cd that is runing. not an option.
those drivers can only be instaled on a regular installed linux. not a live cd.
keep asking, there might be a way.

bamarob
04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Are you booting from a Knoppix CD or do you have Knoppix installed to a HD? If you're booting from a Knoppix CD, I'm afraid you're out of luck. If booting from a HD, you should be able to install the drivers.

BR