PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 4 for Unix

Simon_Haddad
04-10-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm a web developer and I've installed Knoppix 3.2 to a partition on one of my hard drives, partially so I could test web pages on Linux browsers. I need to know if I can install Internet Explorer 4 for Unix on my Knoppix partition. Has anybody done (or tried) this? If so, how? As some of you probably know, Microsoft tries to make it impossible to install separate versions of <abbr style="cursor: help;" title="Internet Explorer">IE</abbr> on a windows machine, so testing it there is out of the question.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Simon.

fingers99
04-10-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure it's impossible (I can't even remember what brand of Unix it was available for).

But is anyone likely to be using it anyway?

A possibility would be to run IE 4 (I've heard that 4 and 5? run OK) under Wine. If you can get hold of a 16bit version of IE it should run just about perfectly with Wine.

Rink
04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Simon,

I can't see why it can't be done using wine.

Look at http://www.frankscorner.org/

Go to the section on 'Working Apps' 'Internet'.

You'll only see ie5 and ie6 listed there, but you may be able to use the instructions for these on the ie4 cab files.

Rink
04-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Just a wee word of warning....

I tried to install by running the setup file for ie6 from a CD. after about 20 minutes, (around 70% of the install) I found that the remaining 4 Gig on my HD had been entirely consummed and, when i typed 'df' into the console, my HD was at 100% capacity!

However, this was all in a tmp file and using shut down cleansed the /tmp directory and restored my HD space.

stukennedyuk
04-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I tried to install by running the setup file for ie6 from a CD. after about 20 minutes, (around 70% of the install) I found that the remaining 4 Gig on my HD had been entirely consummed and, when i typed 'df' into the console, my HD was at 100% capacity!

I had exactly the same experience. I didn't make any further progress.

Two websites I did use regularly only work with, sorry, I mean are 'optimsed' for IE5 - shamefully one of these is the UK Jobcentre plus (Uk goverment) website on which I want to use the job search function.....

The other is just an inconvenience.....

Stu.....

mightydavefish
04-10-2004, 11:05 PM
If you can spend a few bucks Crossover Office installed IE6 darn near perfectly from the internet and seems to work perfectly (if rather slowly). I think it is like $60 but it is worth every penny. It installs and runs a boatload of windows software.

As far as regular wine goes I used to use it by installing windows 98 to it's own partition and running it from that partition.