PDA

View Full Version : ?Help - Dual boot - xp/knoppix - 1 drive - no floppy

wex
04-10-2004, 06:22 AM
I am trying to dual boot my new dell 8600, I have one 60gig harddrive. I currently have XP Pro installed. My partition plan:
1st primary is 40mb dell diagnostics (not to be messed with)
2nd primary is 30 gig ntfs xp pro currently working
3rd primary /boot 125 megs
4th primary
logical 1 / 20 gig
logical 2 swap 1 gig
logical 3 7 gig fat partition to share between windows and linux

I have read lots of docs and stuff so here are my questions:
1)
I see everyone suggests creating a boot floppy booting to it then doing one of these
dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1 to copy their boot sector to the floppy and then to windows. I have no floppy to boot from. I was thinking is there a way i could install boot from the cd, mount the paritions and then run this command and copy it to my shared fat32 partition. Possible? Anyone know how?

2)Assuming the above is possible....is there a way to use /boot or this a no no with knoppix? Also for my partition table, other than my ntfs partition do i need to make another partition bootable?

-thanks

wex
04-10-2004, 08:15 AM
The current standings are 100 points for me 0 points for computer. I win computer loses(for now).

My basic scheme worked. I loaded knoppix, rebooted and made sure windows still worked - it did. Then the only way I could figure out to do some linux stuff to try and make this happen was to boot into rescue mode of redhat 8.0. I then copied the boot sector over to the shared fat32 partition. Added the changes to boot.ini and rebooted wham I can boot linux.

Now I have to figure out how to get my network up it was running when i booted the knoppix cd but nothing now i bot the broadcomm 440 card. And I also have a dell 1300 wireless. I also somehow need to get acpi running not looking forward to that. Hopefully i can get net and then install the 2.6 kernel that has to help.