PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix cannot boot on Asus notebook?

kevin7
04-10-2004, 10:38 AM
recently, i hv download the knoppix 3.3...

My notebook is P4 1.4, 256DDR, 24x CD-rom, and winXP installed.

so, i follow the instructions, goto bios setup and select boot on cd-rom.
After that, i put in the knoppix live cd... the following are two method i've tried to boot the knoppix...

if i made the cd-rom boot first:
nothing was happed, the cd-rom did run for a minute it seem like something was working behind, but suddenly... it automatically load the windows just like nothing was happened.

if i disable the floppy and hd except cd-rom and cd-rom boot first:
a message told me tat it was an invalid system disk, put an valid one and press enter (the message is something like tat).

I just can't boot the knoppix... what is the problem?

thx a lot...

rickenbacherus
04-11-2004, 11:45 PM
I just can't boot the knoppix... what is the problem?

thx a lot...

Simple. You don't have a bootable disc. Check the md5sum of the .iso you burned and recheck your burning methods. You can find more info here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading)

kevin7
04-12-2004, 09:08 AM
ricken~ i did check it for integrity, no problem at all, i've try to boot it on other computer, it somehow working...

but, i place it in my laptop, it was unable to boot... so, how was it?

thx!

rickenbacherus
04-14-2004, 03:17 AM
Boot like this:

boot: knoppix testcd

If it returns "Everyting looks OK" or somesuch then it must be one of two things:

1) Burn it again at a slower speed

2) Try a different cdrom drive

kevin7
04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
i dun even can see the boot: ...

aisk~

DinB
04-14-2004, 11:58 AM
uhm interesting one

1) have you tried booting the CD on another PC that you know boots OK from the CD :o

2) have you tried to boot on your laptop with a known good booting CD, ie windows XP or other? :D

3) with another distro that I had that would not boot I made a boot floppy and booted from that and got the CD running and installed. You can probably do the same with knoppix, but some one more experienced than I am will have to help you, if you cannot work it out for your self. :wink:

HTH

kevin7
04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
yes... my knoppix cd is worked on other computer...
and my cd-rom able to boot xp...

i think i need a boot diskett... thx a lot