PDA

View Full Version : Speedtouch (alcactel) USB linux driver install

DMATT6000
04-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi there

I need help finding/installing a working driver for the alcatel speedtouch USB (frog) modem. I have Knoppix 3.3 but this does not install the driver/let me connect to web from a clean install. I have seen the driver downloads/documentation on the sourceforge page but need help with what to get and how to install it. I am new to linux but am willing to buckle down and learn with a little help. I can't see what I am doing wrong which does not help.

any help appreciated
getting online WITHIN linux would make things so much easier to learn.

regards
DMATT

DMATT6000
04-10-2004, 10:21 PM
On second thoughts if no one can help with this, are there any known modems that work with Knoppix via PPPoA out of the box? No drivers needed and no compiling?

Markus
04-11-2004, 08:34 AM
The problem with most internal and usb modems is that they are winmodems with drivers doing the work for stripped down hardware. If you want to be sure to get a modem that works, buy an external serial port modem and ask the shop if you can take it back if it doesn't work, even though it should.
There's a script for the alcatel usb here: http://kanotix.com/files/ and you can also use the searchfunction here, just type in speedtouch.