PDA

View Full Version : How do I reinitialize a profile from last session logout

toaster2
04-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi.
I have a hard disc install of knoppix. I am trying to find a way to reinitialize all running processes to start off clean next time I login as root. If I logout and don't close programs, the next time I login, they all resume. How do I clean and reinitialize all the processes?

This question is in part related to another post that I made. I have some processes which are hogging CPU ressources and the kill command just wont work. Any ideas on how to reinitialize? Any help/ideas is much appreciated.

feory@po-box.mcgill.ca

Stephen
04-11-2004, 01:32 AM
KDE Control Center -> KDE Components -> Session Manager and in the On Login section make sure the Start with an empty session is selected. But that is not really a solution to the problem, what apps are causing the problems either get rid of them (apt-get --purge remove offending_app) or try to track down what is going wrong.

OErjan
04-11-2004, 10:36 AM
kill should work, else you have a Zombie. and THAT is a SERIOUS bug.
in a console do:
sudo su (enter)
ps -aux (enter)
kill -9 123 456 789 (enter)
in the above the 123 456 789 are the (in this case 3) pid's of anything shown in ps -aux to have relation with your program.

toaster2
04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Using the kill command with all the process PIDs simultaneously fixed the problem.
Thanks,
Frank