PDA

View Full Version : Trouble booting CD: No boot graphics, various I/O errors

Hobbieman
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I just downloaded v3.3-2-16 from two different sources, verified MD5 and burned two CDs. Both cause the same problem.

When I try to boot from these CDs, I get a blue screen with a boot: prompt at the top. There are no graphics, just plain white text. So, I tried just pressing enter, and later also tried booting with "knoppix testcd". Regardless, the boot process begins, and goes into a black screen with a graphic of a tiny penguin at the top of the screen. Then it says:

Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0
Setting paths I/O Error: dev 0b:00 ....
cloop: read error at ...
cloop: error -3 uncompressing block

Anyhow, the boot process continues regardless of these errors, it continues to get similar errors on each stage, and eventually, it dies on a kernel panic.

I have tried booting these same CDs on another machine, and it works fine: I get a nice graphical bootup screen, and then it boots into a nice desktop.

What could be the problem? BTW, I am not really able to switch hardware between machines at this moment.

The machine having problems is a P4based Celeron 1.7Ghz, with an OEM CD-ROM F563E, and 512 MB RAM. Also, I have been able to create bootcds of TOMSRTBT and booted them without any problems on this machine.

Thanks,

Hobbieman

rickenbacherus
04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
The fact that it boots on other machines means nothing. I have burned discs w/ the same drive, the same media and the same method for a long time and yet occasionally I will also burn a cosater. I think the media is to blame. Test the disc like so:

boot:knoppix testccd

Perhaps try burning your verified image at a slower speed of 4x.

I also have found some drives that simply do not want to boot a Knoppix disc. It is quite easy to do the so-called 'poor-mans' installation and boot the image directly from hdd if you have the disc space.

Hobbieman
04-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will try the two things you suggested this afternoon, and will post back with the results.

BTW, did you have a typo in the boot command you suggested? or is there really TWO C's in the second word?

Hobbieman
04-14-2004, 04:54 AM
Ok, so I tried booting my newly burned CD (burned @ 4x), and used the "knoppix testccd" (and also "knoppix testcd", just in case) and I still get the same behaviour as before.

I guess this drive is just one of those which will not boot knoppix. Why is this so though? What is so special about knoppix's boot process that some drives will not work with it?

Hobbieman
04-23-2004, 06:16 AM
doesn't anyone know what is so special about knoppix's boot process that causes it to fail on certain cdrom drives?

OErjan
04-23-2004, 05:58 PM
i have a drive that is not even acessible under Win, but in linux it is a perfectly working CDRW... i can't even boot the win2kcd in it, but knoppix, Slackware... work great. and to be even weirder, the disk is not acessible in knoppix, but in slackware...